Under the dash radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under the dash radio?

My towncar is an absurd time capsule. However being a time capsule from 1986 is a double edge sword. Yes it’s cool seeing the old stuff but at the same time as an audiophile the stock digital radio while able to pick up an impressive assortment of radio stations doesn’t solve the cable TV issue if 200+ stations but nothing’s on and they suck.

So instead of installing a radio and the replacing the original one, I’m thinking about getting a single din pod and acquiring a flip up screen single din radio to allow for some creature comforts.

My question theoretically I should be able to tap into the harness to run in parallel a thing that shouldn’t cause interference considering the original radio has an off button.

I want to leave as much of this car intact as I can and I feel this a good compromise.

I’m with you on not cutting up stuff. Factory radio stuff just looks right.

Have you considered a FM transmitter that works off your phone’s Bluetooth or a cable connection? If you don’t mind using your phone as an audio source in the car, this could be a cheap option.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Its not too hard to modify the stock radio for a line input. It will work the the rest of the stock system. I did that on my Continental, and for the same reason. Of course you're still limited to the stock amp power output and all that.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought a casette adapter for my '85 MGM, works excellent with an AUX input. I saw bluetooth ones aswell but they were like 30€ and ran on batteries for maybe 10hrs.
        My "analogue" one cost me a whopping 8€.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	478820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1285800

Also makes the classic casette sound without hassling with the magnetic tape or reversing or fastforwarding. Needs no auxiliary power.

All my speakers even work, except now that the paper is flexing again (after ~8 years of no use) , they are starting to crackle, on their way out for sure. I just don't feel like removing the dash pad just yet.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

My town car is a base model. So no cassette and while I do have an FM transmitter it’s a mixed bag of it working because the 1980’s radio picks up more stations than I knew existed so finding a clear signal is difficult. Also the advantages of an android head unit include modern car features. The one I stuck in my 1986 had DVD, WiFi, GPS, video playback the option to install a backup camera and much more.

These are quality of life things that make the point of a modern car moot because these older cars offer better rides, increased visibility and I know damn well these things are tanks.

My life has been saved twice by these big old boats.

Comment

a proper line in is much cleaner sounding than the tape adapters.

personally I don't need or want all of that other stuff, so a line in for my ipod is enough.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Putting another radio under the dash or somewhere else is like putting a TV on top of another TV -don't do it.

I support what gadget said about a proper line in. Or just find the tape deck radio. If yours has the silver football amp in the trunk I have the 1986 specific JBL amp I could sell you.

The other route is just to put an aftermarket deck in, nothing has to to be hacked up whatsoever and going back to stock is simple if you use harness adaptors like I did. My iPod hangs out in the glove box out of sight. Audio quality was improved immensely over the factory deck, that's the big thing holding the system back.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

inclined to agree. If the concern is looking period proper, hanging another radio in the car that is obviously not 80s vintage is going to look as out of place as a modern one in the stock hole.

I had given some consideration of modding an 80s stereo for Blootoof but then I realized I own nothing that interfaces with that. Small boards exist for small money that I'm sure could be fit into the space the tape deck currently occupies. Maybe with extreme creative placement, one could be stuffed in there without pulling the tape mech but I have my doubts on that. Those radios are pretty dense inside. The later 80s ones are actually a lot less "full".

Comment

Theres a video on youtube I stumbled across where this guy took bluetooth headphones and connected it to one of those tape to 1/8” audio adaptor. He even mounted it inside the cassette case, pretty neat. If you have a bluetooth device and your tape deck still works Id suggest doing that before an aftermarket radio.

https://youtu.be/WxXS3OdJUqg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the problem is the tape deck loses a lot of sound quality. Feeding the signal directly in is a lot cleaner. Not hard to do if you can solder but of course it requires opening the thing up and making a few changes internally.

https://youtu.be/2-FUvPBoDts

Comment

True. Do you know if the process is the same with the 87 radio? I know the video says 87 but mine doesnt look like that on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        inclined to agree. If the concern is looking period proper, hanging another radio in the car that is obviously not 80s vintage is going to look as out of place as a modern one in the stock hole.
                        Exactly this.
                        I had given some consideration of modding an 80s stereo for Blootoof but then I realized I own nothing that interfaces with that. Small boards exist for small money that I'm sure could be fit into the space the tape deck currently occupies. Maybe with extreme creative placement, one could be stuffed in there without pulling the tape mech but I have my doubts on that. Those radios are pretty dense inside. The later 80s ones are actually a lot less "full".
                        Blootoof..
                        I'm old fashioned, I like my wires. But yeah, I've got nothing that interfaces with that except for my phone maybe. Trouble is, I don't store music on the thing and don't do stuff like Spotify.

Yeah the blootoof headphone connected to 1/8" audio adapter isn't neat to me, seeing as audio quality is something I don't like sacrificing. I mean, if all you're looking to do is get your audio to come out of the factory deck and speakers, then there's your dinner.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                          True. Do you know if the process is the same with the 87 radio? I know the video says 87 but mine doesnt look like that on the inside.

Which radio do you have? Some in 87 were the 4 button preset one, some were the 6. I've never poked around inside the 6 button one but I'd be surprised if its all that difficult to modify. I have service manuals for 86 and 87 radios so I could have a look.

Comment

Which radio do you have? Some in 87 were the 4 button preset one, some were the 6. I've never poked around inside the 6 button one but I'd be surprised if its all that difficult to modify. I have service manuals for 86 and 87 radios so I could have a look.
                            Its a 6 button but the part number starts with E0 though its probably the same as the 87 radio. Visually the outer case is the same anyway. There was no radio in the car when I bought it so another member was kind enough to send me this one.

Comment

is it the digital 6 button or the one with the analog mechanical pointer? E0 I'd figure to be the analog one. That one should be real simple to mod.

Comment

Working...
                              X