head ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

head ?

want to put j302 heads on my engine will i have piston to valve issues with stock push rods and explorer cam and stock pistons

I am sure you have read this and probably don't want to hear it... but you really should check PTV clearance with clay. There are many variables that can affect the answer to that question, and its better to be safe than sorry.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah I know better safe than sorry

Comment

More of it has to do with the duration of the camshaft than anything else but bigger valves and the lopo dish pistons may be trouble. Definitely want to clay it to confirm.

extremely quick look around indicates they want special headers to work right. Apparently normal ones cover the exhaust port part way or something.
        https://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...j302-head.html

looks like its a 1.94 I and 1.60 E valve. Stock is 1.78 I and 1.46 E. The bigger valves might cause you issues, especially with the stock dish pistons. If it had HO pistons with reliefs it would more likely to fit without any trouble.

also that much head with the Explorer cam is a bit of a waste IMO. Need a cam that will take some advantage of the high rpm flow ability of something that is truly decent. Explorer cam is done for by 4800, and honestly doesn't justify better than GT40 or GT40P heads IMO. I ran one with nicely ported E7 heads and the cam was giving up before the heads were. I'm running those heads with a Comp XE258 now and it pulls solid to 5500. Don't know what valve springs are in there so I'm leery of trying for more. The one time I ran it on the dyno it started breaking up about that point and I don't know if it was ignition or valve float.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks for info

Comment

Working...
          X