Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 CV LX P74 factory stereo (cassette) has a CD option ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2001 CV LX P74 factory stereo (cassette) has a CD option ?

The factory stereo in my 2001 CV LX P74 has a selection button labelled "CD" (it doesn't have a CD slot, just a cassette slot) .. when I select it the stereo echoes back (digitally) "NO CDDJ" so I'm assuming this is Fordspeak for "No CD Disc Jockey" ... obviously there was an option to have a CD changer you could load somewhere in the car (trunk maybe ?) ... am I correct ? That would mean the car is already wired for it and all I'd have to do is stick the factory (or aftermarket ?) CD changer where it was supposed to go and hook it into the wiring waiting for it, yes ?

Just looking for the knowledge from those that know. Before you all go "just buy a new stereo" keep in mind that I am the bankrupt survivor of a year of cancer treatment and it will be all I can do to throw $40 at this problem.
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh - Voltaire

2001 HPP P74 All KYB (Bilstein next) upgraded intake and exhaust
    2004 CVPI P71 Full Koni suspension, upgraded intake and exhaust (now dead) - RIP

I've been seeing them in the trunk on the driver's side in the corner where the tail light is. There is a sizable metal bracket that holds it there. In theory, I should have a plug there for it in my 2000 MGM, but I've never bothered to confirm it. You would probably get more from changing the speakers than the head unit when you can afford to mess around with stuff.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
      I've been seeing them in the trunk on the driver's side in the corner where the tail light is. There is a sizable metal bracket that holds it there. In theory, I should have a plug there for it in my 2000 MGM, but I've never bothered to confirm it. You would probably get more from changing the speakers than the head unit when you can afford to mess around with stuff.
      Oh I'll eventually change the speakers out ... but having CD's available would be nice, I must have hundreds of them.

2004 CVPI P71 Full Koni suspension, upgraded intake and exhaust (now dead) - RIP

Comment

I have the in trunk cd changer out of my Marauder $100 shipped to lower 48

Comment

Originally posted by OzBloke View Post
          Oh I'll eventually change the speakers out ... but having CD's available would be nice, I must have hundreds of them.
          It's easy to add. You can also add the factory sub enclosure as well. If you want to see if your radio can control the sub, turn it on and press and hold preset 3 and 6 at the same time, the radio will go into self test mode. If it can control the sub, it will display "SUB 1/2" after the speaker self test. The non P71 Crown Vics are prewired for the sub and partially wired for the CD changer. The subwoofer connection is in the trunk against the seat it's a 6 pin gray connector. The 6 disc CD changer requires the harness that runs through the car. It connects behind the drivers side kick panel. You will need to remove the back seat to hook up the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            It's easy to add. You can also add the factory sub enclosure as well. If you want to see if your radio can control the sub, turn it on and press and hold preset 3 and 6 at the same time, the radio will go into self test mode. If it can control the sub, it will display "SUB 1/2" after the speaker self test. The non P71 Crown Vics are prewired for the sub and partially wired for the CD changer. The subwoofer connection is in the trunk against the seat it's a 6 pin gray connector. The 6 disc CD changer requires the harness that runs through the car. It connects behind the drivers side kick panel. You will need to remove the back seat to hook up the ground.
            Bloody useful information mate, thank you ! I'm not 100% clear (or maybe I am) ... if I have the CD changer I bolt that into it's mounting location in the trunk (near the right side tail light yeah ?) and I assume the harness it connects to will be terminating right there somewhere close by. Then behind the drivers kick panel is the other end of the harness that I have to connect to the head unit in the dash ?

The ground requiring back seat removal is for the sub woofer installation I think you're saying, yes ?
            Last edited by OzBloke; 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

If changer is in the same location as the 03-04 Marauder it is mounted on the drivers side near the tailight behind the side trunk panel.

Comment

Originally posted by OzBloke View Post
                Bloody useful information mate, thank you ! I'm not 100% clear (or maybe I am) ... if I have the CD changer I bolt that into it's mounting location in the trunk (near the right side tail light yeah ?) and I assume the harness it connects to will be terminating right there somewhere close by. Then behind the drivers kick panel is the other end of the harness that I have to connect to the head unit in the dash ?

The ground requiring back seat removal is for the sub woofer installation I think you're saying, yes ?
                The CD changer is mounted on the drivers side of the trunk. If you don't have a CD changer now, the CD changer harness terminates at the driver front kick panel.

The ground behind the seat is for the subwoofer harness. Not sure why they didn't just attach it but who knows. It'll be easiest to run the CD changer harness through with the back seat removed, so you might as well hook that up.

Comment

Working...
                X