Parts pile for future 351 transplant for my '86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    maybe I should swap mufflers between the diesel and the Towncar. Towncar would be driveable and the diesel would sound like a bro-dozer.
    Time to let the coal roll!

I like the quiet muffler on the 90. It’s still fun to have loud exhaust sometimes but most of the time quiet wins. I’m a 32 year old old man.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      It's really bad in the coupe. I'm seriously debating having quieter mufflers put on.
      Dynomax/Walker 17749; they're large cased mufflers, but they quieted the lopo down to near stock level. With the 351W, I am going to install glasspacks on the tailpipes just in case.

Comment

So...
        I've narrowed this down a little. I'll add to this as I go for future reference. My timeline is to be finished by October next year.

Haves: 351W unassembled. '73 casting, virgin bore. The temptation to go too deep and make a simple 393 out of is a heavy burden at this point.
        We'll roller-ize this thing and grind a cam to suit my needs.
        AFR 165's Smaller valves.. higher velocity.. more torque.
        75MM BBK throttle body

Needs: 351 A/C compressor mount
        Swap headers
        H-pipe
        Intake set-up
        Megasquirt rig. (this excites me.. simplicity and quality)
        More tires
        Time
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
          So...
          I've narrowed this down a little. I'll add to this as I go for future reference. My timeline is to be finished by October next year.

Haves: 351W unassembled. '73 casting, virgin bore. The temptation to go too deep and make a simple 393 out of is a heavy burden at this point.
          We'll roller-ize this thing and grind a cam to suit my needs.
          AFR 165's Smaller valves.. higher velocity.. more torque.
          75MM BBK throttle body

Needs: 351 A/C compressor mount
          Swap headers
          H-pipe
          Intake set-up
          Megasquirt rig. (this excites me.. simplicity and quality)
          More tires
          Time
          I suggest hitting up a demo derby group to find the a/c bracketry.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            I suggest hitting up a demo derby group to find the a/c bracketry.
            That sounds like a great idea, I never considered that. Those guys probably wouldn’t mind making a few bucks off something that would be worth a fraction of a penny at the scrap yard.
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Agreed. Great Ideer.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this thread with some questions! Earlier in the thread it is mentioned to use the Professional Products Typhoon intake for the big boy 351. I get that the uppers are the same between the 302 and the 351 versions. But I can't find a part number for the 351 lower on the Pro Products website. The only one they list for the 351 Typhoon is a carb style intake, not the plenum style efi intake. Does anyone have the part numbers floating around?
                This would save about a grand over hunting a tubular Lightning/GT40 intake on youtube for those of us that want big cubes and no hood scoops.

Thanks!
                1986 Country Squire
                1969 Mercury Cougar
                1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

just a mention about those, I watch a fair bit of machinist content on Youtube. Recently saw a guy fixing one of those PPI intakes for a 5.0. There are 4 machined surfaces on the lower intake, thermostat, upper intake, and the two head surfaces. None of them were actually flat, and it was so bad that it wouldn't seal. Not sure what the labor to re-surface the whole intake is but I can't help but wonder if the purchase price + repair price is really cheaper than the Edelbrock that it copies.

https://youtu.be/sVBoxqVpfOM

all told its a solid hour and a half of watching chips shave off aluminum but the first few minutes will show where the problems are. Just something you might want to check before bolting it on the car if you buy one. If a straight edge rocks or shows light on a gasket surface you may have problems.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have no problem paying the price for the Edelbrock version. I would actually prefer the Edelbrock over the knock off in the interest of supporting US Engineering and Manufacture. But does the Edelbrock 351 lower and 302 upper combo fit under the stock hood?
                    1986 Country Squire
                    1969 Mercury Cougar
                    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Working...
                    X