No announcement yet.

Parts pile for future 351 transplant for my '86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^I would go with the pro products, that's the intake i have. I'll say this though, you may want to run a spacer on it to allow you better access to things underneath. Far as the Megasquirt goes, they make the PnP, which is just what it sounds like. Plugs into the stock harness. Depending on who you buy it from, they will set you up with a base tune based on setup info you give them. Then you can datalog and report back to them and they'll modify your tune, free. This is sounding ideal to me because i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing. Megasquirt basically converts you top SD unless you really want to run a MAF, but the consensus is that it's easier without it. Certain models of the MS also have an auto-tune feature, although i'm not sure how good it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
      Not a concern with the Professional Products 351 upper/lower
      is this the intake thats listed as "typhoon"? after looking it up it lists 302 specifically. i imagine it will fit the 351 right?

was not aware they did a plug and play for the mega squirt in our application, that greatly increases the want
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
        is this the intake thats listed as "typhoon"? after looking it up it lists 302 specifically. i imagine it will fit the 351 right?

was not aware they did a plug and play for the mega squirt in our application, that greatly increases the want

351's use wider lower intakes. One cannot swap a lower intake from a 302 to a 351 vice verse.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just need to confirm the height. If its not taller than the Lightning piece, you're good to go. 351's are taller so the intake has to be shorter for clearance under a stock hood.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post

Yes, but you have to buy the upper and lower separately. You’ll have to look up the lower for a 351w, the uppers are the same.

Knucklehead, do you have tall valve covers or something? I have plenty of room on mine with H.O. valve covers. I can even change gaskets without disturbing the upper plenum.
            Last edited by sick88tbird; 09-17-2019, 10:16 AM.
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

With the lopo, tall valve covers (Ford Racing EFI) were a problem without a spacer; oil fill tube would hit the bottom of the upper intake. Had I gotten a spacer those many moons ago; I would still have those valve covers.

My current problem is the aftermarket heads and the current Ford Racing valve covers hitting the wiper motor cover. I had to cut the cover to get the 351W to fit. I will figure out what to do with the wipers at a later time.

Comment

should have changed the valve covers rather than hack at the wiper box. Valve covers are easier to source. The factory 351 cars went together and I've seen non-factory ones assembled too.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                  ^^^I would go with the pro products, that's the intake i have. I'll say this though, you may want to run a spacer on it to allow you better access to things underneath. Far as the Megasquirt goes, they make the PnP, which is just what it sounds like. Plugs into the stock harness. Depending on who you buy it from, they will set you up with a base tune based on setup info you give them. Then you can datalog and report back to them and they'll modify your tune, free. This is sounding ideal to me because i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing. Megasquirt basically converts you top SD unless you really want to run a MAF, but the consensus is that it's easier without it. Certain models of the MS also have an auto-tune feature, although i'm not sure how good it is.
                  This piques my interest. I really have no ill will against SD and I find it amusing after all these years a lot of new cars are SD.
                  So...with the PP intake upper and lower.... and the MS... this sounds... obviously the way to go.
                  i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing is EXACTLY me.
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                    This piques my interest. I really have no ill will against SD and I find it amusing after all these years a lot of new cars are SD.
                    So...with the PP intake upper and lower.... and the MS... this sounds... obviously the way to go.
                    i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing is EXACTLY me.
                    Aftermarket SD systems are great, I just didn’t want to see you go down the Ford SD rabbit-hole! Lol
                    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      I've done the 351w in a coupe thing. My 86 Two door from Texas has a 94 roller block 351 in it now.
                      So... was it worth it.?
                      I'm a power addict but in this car... I don't want to give away the easy to drive comfortable demeanor of it.
                      I really thing 350 hp and 325 Tq would be cake and make it the perfect street box for me without making it too racy.
                      It's already got the 3.73 and traction loc...
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Aftermarket SD systems are great, I just didn’t want to see you go down the Ford SD rabbit-hole! Lol
                        I'm so enamored with a properly tuned carburetor....that I've never subscribed to EFI.
                        BUT... this car is no nice, I can't bring myself to cut it up...even in the wiring department.
                        I see you have done the same. 351 in the coupe.
                        Any advice.??
                        Last edited by clutch47; 09-17-2019, 05:09 PM.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

I'm so enamored with a properly tuned carburetor....that I've never subscribed to EFI.
                          BUT... this car is no nice, I can't bring myself to cut it up...even in the wiring department.
                          I see you have done the same. 351 in the coupe.
                          Any advice.??
                          Not particularly...it’s pretty straight forward. It’s nice to do a port fuel injection setup on a car that already came with it...mine was a CFI car. Basically, keep stock-ish valve covers, the Typhoon intake fits nicely(with a decent throttle body). Some throttle bodies have a goofy adapter looking thing to mount the TPS sensor and that WILL cause a clearance issue. Mustang H or X-pipe need to be modified to actually fit. Some people say they “fit fine”...yeah, only if you like your car looking like the exhaust may fall off at any given moment. I’m in the process of making a set of long-tube headers work on a panther, but it most likely won’t apply to 351w swapped cars.

Comment

Not particularly...it’s pretty straight forward. It’s nice to do a port fuel injection setup on a car that already came with it...mine was a CFI car. Basically, keep stock-ish valve covers, the Typhoon intake fits nicely(with a decent throttle body). Some throttle bodies have a goofy adapter looking thing to mount the TPS sensor and that WILL cause a clearance issue. Mustang H or X-pipe need to be modified to actually fit. Some people say they “fit fine”...yeah, only if you like your car looking like the exhaust may fall off at any given moment. I’m in the process of making a set of long-tube headers work on a panther, but it most likely won’t apply to 351w swapped cars.
                            I was debating picking up the BBK H pipe now and getting it in there before this all goes down. Guess I should wait on that..(?)
                            I've got Magnaflows on the car with the stock cats and it's quiet but sounds very good. No H pipe at all. Nice drone around 2K I think. Best get my damn tach on there..
                            I'm debating leaving the cats on it... how much louder ya think it'll get without them?
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Yes, but you have to buy the upper and lower separately. You’ll have to look up the lower for a 351w, the uppers are the same.

Knucklehead, do you have tall valve covers or something? I have plenty of room on mine with H.O. valve covers. I can even change gaskets without disturbing the upper plenum.
                              Yes, i had to use tall motorsport valve covers because my heads had the crane stud conversion in them rather than pedestal rockers. The poly-locks wouldn't clear the stock covers. The upper intake fit but there was no way in hell you could get at anything under it so i run a 1" spacer, or at least did briefly, lol. Someday i'll actually get all this shit in the car...

Comment

Yeah in all the reading i've done, only one person kept the MAF feature running a megasquirt. Pretty much everyone else says it's an unnecessary quantity and just muddies the waters. Only thing holding me back at this point is being certain this pile will pass gay california smog. Anybody know what parts of our emissions/evap system is controlled by the computer?

Comment

Working...
                                X