PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts pile for future 351 transplant for my '86

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

With the lopo, tall valve covers (Ford Racing EFI) were a problem without a spacer; oil fill tube would hit the bottom of the upper intake. Had I gotten a spacer those many moons ago; I would still have those valve covers.

My current problem is the aftermarket heads and the current Ford Racing valve covers hitting the wiper motor cover. I had to cut the cover to get the 351W to fit. I will figure out what to do with the wipers at a later time.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

should have changed the valve covers rather than hack at the wiper box. Valve covers are easier to source. The factory 351 cars went together and I've seen non-factory ones assembled too.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    ^^^I would go with the pro products, that's the intake i have. I'll say this though, you may want to run a spacer on it to allow you better access to things underneath. Far as the Megasquirt goes, they make the PnP, which is just what it sounds like. Plugs into the stock harness. Depending on who you buy it from, they will set you up with a base tune based on setup info you give them. Then you can datalog and report back to them and they'll modify your tune, free. This is sounding ideal to me because i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing. Megasquirt basically converts you top SD unless you really want to run a MAF, but the consensus is that it's easier without it. Certain models of the MS also have an auto-tune feature, although i'm not sure how good it is.
    This piques my interest. I really have no ill will against SD and I find it amusing after all these years a lot of new cars are SD.
    So...with the PP intake upper and lower.... and the MS... this sounds... obviously the way to go.
    i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing is EXACTLY me.
    All FORD All The Time

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    This piques my interest. I really have no ill will against SD and I find it amusing after all these years a lot of new cars are SD.
    So...with the PP intake upper and lower.... and the MS... this sounds... obviously the way to go.
    i don't have the time to dick around tuning this, not to mention i really don't know what i'm doing is EXACTLY me.
    Aftermarket SD systems are great, I just didn’t want to see you go down the Ford SD rabbit-hole! Lol
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Quote Originally Posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    I've done the 351w in a coupe thing. My 86 Two door from Texas has a 94 roller block 351 in it now.
    So... was it worth it.?
    I'm a power addict but in this car... I don't want to give away the easy to drive comfortable demeanor of it.
    I really thing 350 hp and 325 Tq would be cake and make it the perfect street box for me without making it too racy.
    It's already got the 3.73 and traction loc...
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by sick88tbird View Post
    Aftermarket SD systems are great, I just didn’t want to see you go down the Ford SD rabbit-hole! Lol
    I'm so enamored with a properly tuned carburetor....that I've never subscribed to EFI.
    BUT... this car is no nice, I can't bring myself to cut it up...even in the wiring department.
    I see you have done the same. 351 in the coupe.
    Any advice.??
    Last edited by clutch47; 09-17-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    All FORD All The Time

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

I'm so enamored with a properly tuned carburetor....that I've never subscribed to EFI.
    BUT... this car is no nice, I can't bring myself to cut it up...even in the wiring department.
    I see you have done the same. 351 in the coupe.
    Any advice.??
    Not particularly...it’s pretty straight forward. It’s nice to do a port fuel injection setup on a car that already came with it...mine was a CFI car. Basically, keep stock-ish valve covers, the Typhoon intake fits nicely(with a decent throttle body). Some throttle bodies have a goofy adapter looking thing to mount the TPS sensor and that WILL cause a clearance issue. Mustang H or X-pipe need to be modified to actually fit. Some people say they “fit fine”...yeah, only if you like your car looking like the exhaust may fall off at any given moment. I’m in the process of making a set of long-tube headers work on a panther, but it most likely won’t apply to 351w swapped cars.
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Not particularly...it’s pretty straight forward. It’s nice to do a port fuel injection setup on a car that already came with it...mine was a CFI car. Basically, keep stock-ish valve covers, the Typhoon intake fits nicely(with a decent throttle body). Some throttle bodies have a goofy adapter looking thing to mount the TPS sensor and that WILL cause a clearance issue. Mustang H or X-pipe need to be modified to actually fit. Some people say they “fit fine”...yeah, only if you like your car looking like the exhaust may fall off at any given moment. I’m in the process of making a set of long-tube headers work on a panther, but it most likely won’t apply to 351w swapped cars.
    I was debating picking up the BBK H pipe now and getting it in there before this all goes down. Guess I should wait on that..(?)
    I've got Magnaflows on the car with the stock cats and it's quiet but sounds very good. No H pipe at all. Nice drone around 2K I think. Best get my damn tach on there..
    I'm debating leaving the cats on it... how much louder ya think it'll get without them?
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Yes, but you have to buy the upper and lower separately. Youíll have to look up the lower for a 351w, the uppers are the same.

Knucklehead, do you have tall valve covers or something? I have plenty of room on mine with H.O. valve covers. I can even change gaskets without disturbing the upper plenum.
    Yes, i had to use tall motorsport valve covers because my heads had the crane stud conversion in them rather than pedestal rockers. The poly-locks wouldn't clear the stock covers. The upper intake fit but there was no way in hell you could get at anything under it so i run a 1" spacer, or at least did briefly, lol. Someday i'll actually get all this shit in the car...

Yeah in all the reading i've done, only one person kept the MAF feature running a megasquirt. Pretty much everyone else says it's an unnecessary quantity and just muddies the waters. Only thing holding me back at this point is being certain this pile will pass gay california smog. Anybody know what parts of our emissions/evap system is controlled by the computer?

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

I was debating picking up the BBK H pipe now and getting it in there before this all goes down. Guess I should wait on that..
    I'm debating leaving the cats on it... how much louder ya think it'll get without them?
    I honestly would not buy a NEW h-pipe, just to pay an exhaust shop to cut it up...unless you can do it yourself, I’d try to buy used(to save some coin) or just let an exhaust shop fab one up for you.

As for no cats...it’ll get MUCH louder. I’ve found that DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers with no cats sound just like Magnaflows with cats.

I honestly would not buy a NEW h-pipe, just to pay an exhaust shop to cut it up...unless you can do it yourself, Iíd try to buy used(to save some coin) or just let an exhaust shop fab one up for you.
    As for no cats...itíll get MUCH louder. Iíve found that DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers with no cats sound just like Magnaflows with cats.
    The fella that bent my exhaust thought ordering one from Summit and cutting it might be cheaper on labor in the end... so I might go that way.
    He had the stainless 'flows on the shelf so that's what we went with. I actually thought about the H pipe with cats in it...but if we're going to cut it to hell...nah.
    I'm sure when it's time Carl will come through beautifully. He's a great old-fashioned car lover. He thought my Car was 'pretty damn slick' in his words.
    All FORD All The Time

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

So... was it worth it.?
    I'm a power addict but in this car... I don't want to give away the easy to drive comfortable demeanor of it.
    I really thing 350 hp and 325 Tq would be cake and make it the perfect street box for me without making it too racy.
    It's already got the 3.73 and traction loc...
    I'm doing that now 350hp (supposedly, with calculations based on airflow and whatnot at the crank) and 400 ftlbs of torque. It's a little slower because of the AOD and 3.27s. Still need to finish tuning to make it a bit more enjoyable to just drive around (when it's cold it's kind of tempermental). And gas mileage is retarded low. I know it can do better haha.

My setup is running off of an A9P with my original 86 engine harness, with a few modifications to add the MAF sensor, and add a vss input. 39lb injectors (03/04 SVT Cobra injectors), 04 P71 airbox, MAF and intake tube, 70mm throttle body. Lightning upper and lower, edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, XE270HR cam (probably should've gone bigger with it), 351w fox swap headers.
    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Anybody know what parts of our emissions/evap system is controlled by the computer?
    all of it. Thermactor air injection, EGR, and evap purge. Thats actually the entire emissions system besides the converters.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

The fella that bent my exhaust thought ordering one from Summit and cutting it might be cheaper on labor in the end... so I might go that way.
    He had the stainless 'flows on the shelf so that's what we went with. I actually thought about the H pipe with cats in it...but if we're going to cut it to hell...nah.
    I'm sure when it's time Carl will come through beautifully. He's a great old-fashioned car lover. He thought my Car was 'pretty damn slick' in his words.
    That sounds like a plan then. I think it’ll sound sweet with no cats and the Magnaflows...if you don’t mind it sounding a little rowdy...I know I never mind it! Lol

That sounds like a plan then. I think it’ll sound sweet with no cats and the Magnaflows...if you don’t mind it sounding a little rowdy...I know I never mind it! Lol
    It'll be loud and droney! Ask me how I know hehe.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Blue

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    all of it. Thermactor air injection, EGR, and evap purge. Thats actually the entire emissions system besides the converters.
    Balls, that's what i figured. No way i can get away with it then. May just run the a9p and see what it does. God i want to move to a free state.

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Lol, some people are sensitive to that, never really bothered me! Except when I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle, that kinda sucked...interior trim screws would periodically drop out of their respective trim pieces while driving! lol...so much better with tailpipes.

Lol, some people are sensitive to that, never really bothered me! Except when I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle, that kinda sucked...interior trim screws would periodically drop out of their respective trim pieces while driving! lol...so much better with tailpipes.
    It's not too bad if you can tune it out with the radio. The stock sound system is inadequate for that.

Vicky
    Blue

I'm thinking it won't be too bad with my tailpipes coming out WAY back there.
    We'll see.
    All FORD All The Time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast