PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parts pile for future 351 transplant for my '86

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The drone is not to be dismissed. Mine drones bad enough around 50 in overdrive that I basically don't drive it locally anymore. All of the roads are 50 mph and I honestly just can't freaking stand it anymore. Handily the diesel is nearly silent, so I put miles on that.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The drone is not to be dismissed. Mine drones bad enough around 50 in overdrive that I basically don't drive it locally anymore. All of the roads are 50 mph and I honestly just can't freaking stand it anymore. Handily the diesel is nearly silent, so I put miles on that.
    It's really bad in the coupe. I'm seriously debating having quieter mufflers put on.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Just use a different muffler. Chambered mufflers are notorious for drone. Even glasspacks aren't nearly as bad as flowmasters and their knockoffs. Look at Borla, Bassani, etc. I have Moroso spiral-flows that look like a glasspack but just have a spiral baffle inside. Sound pretty beefy and no drone.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Magnaflows on mine. I added a bunch of sound damper crap to the trunk and it reduced the peak volume, but it made the speed range where its annoying wider.

maybe I should swap mufflers between the diesel and the Towncar. Towncar would be driveable and the diesel would sound like a bro-dozer.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Quote Originally Posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    It's not too bad if you can tune it out with the radio. The stock sound system is inadequate for that.
    LMAO, I second that!
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    maybe I should swap mufflers between the diesel and the Towncar. Towncar would be driveable and the diesel would sound like a bro-dozer.
    Time to let the coal roll!

I like the quiet muffler on the 90. It’s still fun to have loud exhaust sometimes but most of the time quiet wins. I’m a 32 year old old man.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

It's really bad in the coupe. I'm seriously debating having quieter mufflers put on.
    Dynomax/Walker 17749; they're large cased mufflers, but they quieted the lopo down to near stock level. With the 351W, I am going to install glasspacks on the tailpipes just in case.

So...
    I've narrowed this down a little. I'll add to this as I go for future reference. My timeline is to be finished by October next year.

Haves: 351W unassembled. '73 casting, virgin bore. The temptation to go too deep and make a simple 393 out of is a heavy burden at this point.
    We'll roller-ize this thing and grind a cam to suit my needs.
    AFR 165's Smaller valves.. higher velocity.. more torque.
    75MM BBK throttle body

Needs: 351 A/C compressor mount
    Swap headers
    H-pipe
    Intake set-up
    Megasquirt rig. (this excites me.. simplicity and quality)
    More tires
    Time
    All FORD All The Time

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    So...
    I've narrowed this down a little. I'll add to this as I go for future reference. My timeline is to be finished by October next year.

Haves: 351W unassembled. '73 casting, virgin bore. The temptation to go too deep and make a simple 393 out of is a heavy burden at this point.
    We'll roller-ize this thing and grind a cam to suit my needs.
    AFR 165's Smaller valves.. higher velocity.. more torque.
    75MM BBK throttle body

Needs: 351 A/C compressor mount
    Swap headers
    H-pipe
    Intake set-up
    Megasquirt rig. (this excites me.. simplicity and quality)
    More tires
    Time
    I suggest hitting up a demo derby group to find the a/c bracketry.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

I suggest hitting up a demo derby group to find the a/c bracketry.
    That sounds like a great idea, I never considered that. Those guys probably wouldn’t mind making a few bucks off something that would be worth a fraction of a penny at the scrap yard.
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Agreed. Great Ideer.
    All FORD All The Time

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123