Parts pile for future 351 transplant for my '86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
    I was debating picking up the BBK H pipe now and getting it in there before this all goes down. Guess I should wait on that..
    I'm debating leaving the cats on it... how much louder ya think it'll get without them?
    I honestly would not buy a NEW h-pipe, just to pay an exhaust shop to cut it up...unless you can do it yourself, I’d try to buy used(to save some coin) or just let an exhaust shop fab one up for you.

As for no cats...it’ll get MUCH louder. I’ve found that DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers with no cats sound just like Magnaflows with cats.
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
      I honestly would not buy a NEW h-pipe, just to pay an exhaust shop to cut it up...unless you can do it yourself, I’d try to buy used(to save some coin) or just let an exhaust shop fab one up for you.
      As for no cats...it’ll get MUCH louder. I’ve found that DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers with no cats sound just like Magnaflows with cats.
      The fella that bent my exhaust thought ordering one from Summit and cutting it might be cheaper on labor in the end... so I might go that way.
      He had the stainless 'flows on the shelf so that's what we went with. I actually thought about the H pipe with cats in it...but if we're going to cut it to hell...nah.
      I'm sure when it's time Carl will come through beautifully. He's a great old-fashioned car lover. He thought my Car was 'pretty damn slick' in his words.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

So... was it worth it.?
        I'm a power addict but in this car... I don't want to give away the easy to drive comfortable demeanor of it.
        I really thing 350 hp and 325 Tq would be cake and make it the perfect street box for me without making it too racy.
        It's already got the 3.73 and traction loc...
        I'm doing that now 350hp (supposedly, with calculations based on airflow and whatnot at the crank) and 400 ftlbs of torque. It's a little slower because of the AOD and 3.27s. Still need to finish tuning to make it a bit more enjoyable to just drive around (when it's cold it's kind of tempermental). And gas mileage is retarded low. I know it can do better haha.

My setup is running off of an A9P with my original 86 engine harness, with a few modifications to add the MAF sensor, and add a vss input. 39lb injectors (03/04 SVT Cobra injectors), 04 P71 airbox, MAF and intake tube, 70mm throttle body. Lightning upper and lower, edelbrock aluminum cylinder heads, XE270HR cam (probably should've gone bigger with it), 351w fox swap headers.
        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 09-18-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          Anybody know what parts of our emissions/evap system is controlled by the computer?
          all of it. Thermactor air injection, EGR, and evap purge. Thats actually the entire emissions system besides the converters.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The fella that bent my exhaust thought ordering one from Summit and cutting it might be cheaper on labor in the end... so I might go that way.
            He had the stainless 'flows on the shelf so that's what we went with. I actually thought about the H pipe with cats in it...but if we're going to cut it to hell...nah.
            I'm sure when it's time Carl will come through beautifully. He's a great old-fashioned car lover. He thought my Car was 'pretty damn slick' in his words.
            That sounds like a plan then. I think it’ll sound sweet with no cats and the Magnaflows...if you don’t mind it sounding a little rowdy...I know I never mind it! Lol
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

That sounds like a plan then. I think it’ll sound sweet with no cats and the Magnaflows...if you don’t mind it sounding a little rowdy...I know I never mind it! Lol
              It'll be loud and droney! Ask me how I know hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                all of it. Thermactor air injection, EGR, and evap purge. Thats actually the entire emissions system besides the converters.
                Balls, that's what i figured. No way i can get away with it then. May just run the a9p and see what it does. God i want to move to a free state.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Lol, some people are sensitive to that, never really bothered me! Except when I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle, that kinda sucked...interior trim screws would periodically drop out of their respective trim pieces while driving! lol...so much better with tailpipes.

Comment

Lol, some people are sensitive to that, never really bothered me! Except when I had the exhaust dumped before the rear axle, that kinda sucked...interior trim screws would periodically drop out of their respective trim pieces while driving! lol...so much better with tailpipes.
                    It's not too bad if you can tune it out with the radio. The stock sound system is inadequate for that.

Comment

I'm thinking it won't be too bad with my tailpipes coming out WAY back there.
                      We'll see.
                      All FORD All The Time

Comment

The drone is not to be dismissed. Mine drones bad enough around 50 in overdrive that I basically don't drive it locally anymore. All of the roads are 50 mph and I honestly just can't freaking stand it anymore. Handily the diesel is nearly silent, so I put miles on that.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The drone is not to be dismissed. Mine drones bad enough around 50 in overdrive that I basically don't drive it locally anymore. All of the roads are 50 mph and I honestly just can't freaking stand it anymore. Handily the diesel is nearly silent, so I put miles on that.
                          It's really bad in the coupe. I'm seriously debating having quieter mufflers put on.

Comment

Just use a different muffler. Chambered mufflers are notorious for drone. Even glasspacks aren't nearly as bad as flowmasters and their knockoffs. Look at Borla, Bassani, etc. I have Moroso spiral-flows that look like a glasspack but just have a spiral baffle inside. Sound pretty beefy and no drone.

Comment

Magnaflows on mine. I added a bunch of sound damper crap to the trunk and it reduced the peak volume, but it made the speed range where its annoying wider.

maybe I should swap mufflers between the diesel and the Towncar. Towncar would be driveable and the diesel would sound like a bro-dozer.

Comment

It's not too bad if you can tune it out with the radio. The stock sound system is inadequate for that.
                                LMAO, I second that!

Comment

Working...
                                X