Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all. First ever panther owner. 97 MGM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once leather gets too far gone, than it sucks. Which is why I'm going to be really anal about this. I'm going to get a kit of leatherique and let it soak into the leather for a day or two.

Cloth seats I prefer in higher performance cars if the seats themselves are not supportive, but it does suck if something spills on the cloth seats and gets soaked in. This car for the time being won't be taking corners fast lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Android View Post
      It has the aluminum crossover. How do I tell if it's a PI manifold? Nothing on the car leaks. ...
      Welcome! The NPI intake (up to 2000) has shorter runners, and there is a coolant tube behind the water pump that goes straight back under the runners as part of the heater core circuit. The PI has longer runners that go down too deep for the coolant tube to be straight, so they did a bendy modification to get the tube to go to and along the driver's side of the runners before going back to the other side for the heater core. My impression is that the PI intake swap is only worthwhile if you have to fix the intake (and would be even more worthwhile if you changed the camshafts from NPI to PI ones too), unless you have all kinds of time and money that you are eager to part with.

I would guess a 97 would benefit from a 70mm throttle body (a common swap for 98-04 before DBW in 05), which is a much simpler way to get a bit of a performance benefit when the intake can wait. If you have some more ambition, you can also port/polish the plenum that the throttle body bolts onto.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Doesn't look to be a PI manifold. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
          Welcome! The NPI intake (up to 2000) has shorter runners, and there is a coolant tube behind the water pump that goes straight back under the runners as part of the heater core circuit. The PI has longer runners that go down too deep for the coolant tube to be straight, so they did a bendy modification to get the tube to go to and along the driver's side of the runners before going back to the other side for the heater core. My impression is that the PI intake swap is only worthwhile if you have to fix the intake (and would be even more worthwhile if you changed the camshafts from NPI to PI ones too), unless you have all kinds of time and money that you are eager to part with.

I would guess a 97 would benefit from a 70mm throttle body (a common swap for 98-04 before DBW in 05), which is a much simpler way to get a bit of a performance benefit when the intake can wait. If you have some more ambition, you can also port/polish the plenum that the throttle body bolts onto.
          That reminds me, i have a P&P plenum and 70mm throttle body for the 4.6 i should sell. Think the plenum is a knock-off c&l, i think a MAC, and the TB is another aftermarket whatever-brand that's been worked. Don't even remember what i paid for it but never ended up on my '98 for some reason. Make me an offer and i'll dig the shit out and take some pictures.

Comment

Don't worry about it. I wanna get all of the maintenance items taken care of before any mods happen.

Comment

Nice purchase. LOTTA INFO here from guys that have been there done that. I learn something every day.
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
              X