best way to coat new cast aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way to coat new cast aluminum?

I have a cast diff cover/girdle to go on Marauder.

It is raw aluminum. With a polished bar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	girdle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1305045

I do not have a powder coat setup available.

I was thinking "hit it with some clear" or I could use color paint or tinted clear if it exists.

So what is the best product or type of product?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

If it is brand new still send it to me. I will disassemble any plastic bits that won’t withstand the oven and powder coat it clear if you want. I have many other colors as well.

It will require a couple bake cycles to first get any impurity’s out of the metal.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That is a great offer.

Yes it is new.

Thank You
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No problem.

I cleared the finned one ( gt500 style ) with high heat engine paint and it started to get milky looking and flake off in some areas after the few years of use I had on it. Which was around 6 years.

I believe a full on paint job would have lasted longer than just applying clear in my case.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It is a blue car... That or a grey color would work.
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I've had reasonable luck with the cast coat aluminum paint if you want the raw aluminum look. I did the intake, valve cover, and timing cover on the diesel and it looks surprisingly good. It also cleans up a lot easier than actual raw aluminum since the pores aren't open. Powdercoat would likely be tougher though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dave,

I don't know powder coating temps. Can I wrap the bolt threads with regular masking tape?
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Gadget is this the paint you referenced? Would be good to have some on the shelf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1285868
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

DE1650 is the item number. This stuff.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1650/7140893-P
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Dave,

I don't know powder coating temps. Can I wrap the bolt threads with regular masking tape?
                    I have high heat tape for masking such things. The piece I am concerned about is the pads that put pressure on the main caps. I forget if that is rubber.

Powder coating temps reach upwards of 500. Normally around 450.
                    ~David~

Comment

yea the cast coat aluminum paint holds up real well on accy brackets and intakes. started using it when i built my engine in 2004.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Jay trusted me with his rear differential cover....

Did a blue inlay in the engravings:

Clear powder applies as a white before it melts:

And complete:

I think it gives it a nice subtle touch.
                        Attached Files
                        ~David~

Comment

Looks nice. Seems to darken it a bit? Kind of reminds me of the paint on my Towncar's intake

Comment

sweet!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Excellent work as usual!
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X