First Panther. 97 MGM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Panther. 97 MGM.

I'm starting this thread on here since it's a better place.

Just got my first Panther. I am not fond of the older suspension design but this car was in too good of shape to let slide. The original owner traded it in and now it's in my possession. The interior is immaculate and I love the leather seats. Only the steering wheel has the usual wear of 147k miles. The battery is 7 years old and it needs a right front window regulator. Those are the only things wrong with it.

On to the crappy pics. This was before I washed it. Not bad for $1700

I got a Bluetooth Cassette adapter and cleaner. Works great so far. I also washed the car and cleaned the leather seats and steering wheel with Lexol soap and a horse hair brush before applying Lexol conditioner. I do love the smell of clean leather.

nice car!

Comment

Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far. Looking at doing some maintenance soon

Comment

Looks great for a first Panther.
        '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
        formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

That's the only reason I got it. I would have preferred an 03+ but this one is mint with zero oil leaks.

Comment

Congrats!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I just got a K&N air filter for it. I've had no issues with K&N before. They usually foul up the MAF Sensor if you over oil them.

Comment

Stick with the paper filters. K&N may allow more air but that also means more debris.
                1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
                2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

I'm good. I've used them before on various vehicles and my lawn mower. Plus I don't drive in dusty conditions. Not looking to start a flame war lol.

Comment

I've been using K & N since the late 80's.
                    No problems here.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I just keep some contact cleaner on hand to clean off my MAF with my oiled air filter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got an AFE dryforce filter. It's washable but doesn't use the stupid oil. Not sure if it's any better or worse than k&n, but no oil. Fouled the MAF on my '98 a few times and it pissed me off.

Comment

Flushed the power steering with Mobil 1 ATF and did an Oil change, again with Mobil 1 and Risoline Nanoprime oil additive. I love that stuff.

Comment

Leather, automatic climate control, and digi dash, that’s pretty loaded for a 97. I saw one that looked exactly like that on Facebook marketplace in Kentucky a few weeks ago. My first panther was a 95 Grand Marquis. Having had panthers from 88, 95, 01, and 03 I personally haven’t noticed a big enough difference in the suspension changes that it matters to me. Though I’m still getting used to the rack and pinion setup on the 03+ cars. Not a huge fan, I’ve never minded it in other cars but not a huge fan of how it feels on a panther.
                            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Welcome! Does your '97 still have the OEM floor mats?
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X