No announcement yet.

First Panther. 97 MGM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The front ones yes. Missing the rear ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Android View Post
      The front ones yes. Missing the rear ones.
      Rear ones were an option. If you wanted rears, you might find nos ones on Ebay On the back of your front mats is the part number. The whole number wont be the same but the last letters should be the color.

Comment

Found an owner's brochure.

Also restored the headlights.

I took it out on a desolate road and tried to re-bed in the brakes as they are awful. The car stopped ok but the nose dive was substantial. So much so that the oil light came on for a second as all of the oil went to the front of the pan. Is there a way to avoid this from happening? I know C5 Corvettes can have one more quart of oil added to the engine, if driving on the track. I would like to autocross this car in the future for fun and laughs. But I don't want any oiling issues under hard braking or cornering.

Comment

Funny you mention the oil light thing, since my '97 does the same thing if you really pin the brakes down at speed.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I hate the fact that these engines only take about 5 quarts. If this is an issue with cheap crappy brakes, imagine with good brakes and tires. I'll just overfill the oil a tad and see if that helps.

Comment

98-02 brakes are noticeably better and almost bolt on. You need 16" wheels, but otherwise swap the hub bearing, rotor, caliper bracket, caliper, and pads to the later style for an extra inch of rotor diameter and dual piston calipers with larger brake pads. Worth doing if you're planning to autocross it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm looking for someone to make me a set of stainless braided brake hoses. I've had them on all of my vehicles and loved the pedal feel.

Comment

Talk to Toploader. He found someone to make stainless lines for his Studebaker Avanti. Apparently they can make whatever you want so long as they have a template. I forget where he got it done though.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did some stuff. Replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys along with the serpentine belt to quit a squeak during cold starts.

I also replaced the spark plugs. They were crappy Autolite plugs that were never gapped properly. Ranging from 0.35 to 0.41. Replaced them with NGK Platinum plugs gapped at 0.54.

host gif online

Comment

Washed the car today. No issues to report. Looking at new speakers for the stock radio. Also looking to do the transmission service. Fluid looks good but is unknown.

Comment

Do you have to replace the Brake hoses? I'm looking at getting custom Stainless braided brake hoses made and would like to not make a second set.

Comment

These brakes suck. I need ALOT of pressure to get the pads to bite. Pedal feel is fine. Just the crappy pads.

Ordered new rotors and EBC Yellowstuff Pads as that's the only "Track" pad I could find for this car. I like Hawk pads and used HP+ on all of my previous vehicles. But Hawk only makes the HPS pad for panther cars.

Comment

Are your rear brakes working correctly? If something is messed up back there you'll get even more brake dive than normal. Seen lots of inop rear brakes and people don't even realize. Usually its stuck caliper pins. Overly soft or worn out shocks make that worse. Consider these things were Granny-tuned, soft springs, mushy shocks. None of that gets better after 22 years.

Comment

I took the front and rear pads off and scuffed the pad surfaces. I noticed no binding, Frozen or seized parts. I flushed the brakes before the car was even mine. I will replace the hoses too and flush the system again.

I Know the suspension will help with stopping power. And so will better wheels and tires.

Comment

Nice car. Among my 15 Panthers over the years, I had a 95 and 96 GM's that were both Willow Green inside and out. Not a fan of leather, myself. With the 96, I swapped in blue cloth seats from an 86 GM.

Was your car ever upgraded to the better intake manifold?
                                David
                                1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                                14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Working...
                                X