4R70W B&M Shift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4R70W B&M Shift kit

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit. My car has 147k on it and it works fine. I just hate how slow it shifts and I want to reduce any wear those slow shifts do. I just got the car and don't know the last time when the fluid/filter was changed in the transmission. The fluid looks good and still red. I want to do a service, install the shift kit and a pan with a drain plug. Any thoughts?

If your confident with installing a shift kit, then a j-mod would probably work well for you (and doesn't even need a shift kit). In fact, shift kits on electronic transmissions without the flow mods that a j-mod does may actually cause problems. There's lots of info on how to do it on the net as well. As with all modifications to the valve body, your mileage may vary and be prepared to break stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd rather just buy a valve body ready to install. But at that point I'd probably just get a new transmission. Or do a manual swap.

Comment

Skip the B&M. Just do the mild J-mod. I've done it on both my 4R's (95 T-bird and my 03 CV LX Sport) and had no issues. Also did it to a 97 F150 and a 97 Cougar. Not once did I have an issue as long I followed the directions and double-checked before drilling the sep. plate. All of those trans. are still living today. I got my Sport with 54K on it and it just turned 221K this week. Still shifts hard enough at WOT to cause the belt to squeal, lol.

There used to be a guy on TCCoA that would build a J-modded VB and send it to you. I'll have to see if he still does em. Might be a easier option for you. Besides, you're right there when you're changing the filter so why not?

Although if you have the $$$ to drop on a manual swap then go for it. 6-speed FTW!
        These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

One of the guys here will do that too. I always forget his name here since I know him IRL and keep in touch on FB. I'll find his nickname here and post it.

Edit: Found it... 88grandmarq
          PM him and see if he can hook you up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X