Oil Change soon warning light information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change soon warning light information needed

Hi Guys I just got around to changing my oil finally and I reset the oil change soon warning that came on today.

My question is what causes this warning to come on and the percentage meter to go down? is it based on time and mileage?

Thanks
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

If its like a General, the algorithym they use to calculate oil life is based on idle time, run time, mileage. And how they come to a final value can change year to year, GM for instance got more aggressive with the algorighim to appease dealers who complained people where not coming in every 3-5k for oil changes anymore. independant Used oil analysis supported the generous algorithim so it wasn't a case of over extending the oil.
    How many miles did you do since your last oil change (or the oil life monitor finally ticking down to zero) as that will give you an idea of how it operates, and if you are happy with the mileage interval just go with it and don't worry about it.

Alex.

Comment

Also it is assumes you are using semi-synthetic which has a 6-month max life.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Hi Yes I did use the Motorcraft semi-synthetic This is the first time I changed the oil it was done at the dealership when they put it up for sale after they took it in as a trade. I am guessing the oil life percentage was not set at the dealership because it came on within one month of owning it and the oil still looked and no smell of fuel. I reset it about 7-8 months ago yet I doubt I have put 600 miles on the car since I have owned it.

I do go out and start it and let it run until it warms up good then shut it down or take it on a short ride.

In the past I changed the oil on my other cars at 3K or more if the oil looked good and did not smell of fuel after sitting over night. I was planning on doing the same with this car but I guess the semi-synthetic has to be changed after 6 months which I did not know.

Is there as better oil that I should be using since I live in south Florida that will be better for my engine and start up oil pressure?

I do like using factory parts when possible but I did use a K&N Gold filter with a silicone Anti Drain back Valve because it has the wrench fitting on the end of hopefully making it easier for me to get to on this car. My engine has a oil pressure switch and a power steering switch a hose , rack and other parts in the way making it a pain to get to with a standard filter wrench.

I will say since this is the first oil change I have done on this or any other Crown Vic with a 4.6 I do not know how much easier or it if it will be easier to get the K&N filter off.

Comment

If you use Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil (buy at Walmarts) it is rated for 1yr. and 15,000miles. You need to use a premium filter which it seems you have.

Many folks would just go by mileage and not really worry about the 6 month interval with any synthetic or even semi-synthetic oil.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            Also it is assumes you are using semi-synthetic which has a 6-month max life.
            Where do you get that from? GM considers 1 year the oci if you don't rack up the miles to trigger the oil life warning.

Comment

Yeah I have not found anything that claims this oil should be changed at 6 months, with the low mileage I drive I will stick to the one year or if it smells like fuel after sitting over night.

Comment

6 months is my memory of non -synthetic oils but lets see if that has changed. Perhaps we can get a straight answer from someone. I just asked Castrol & Mobil via Email what is max change interval of their semi-synthetics. I did not bother with ford as I have never gotten a tech question answered by them.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I got one on point response from Mobil on its Super = semi-synthetic

"Additional requirements for all Mobil Super products include: 1) Oils must be put in service not later than five (5) years from the date of purchase; and 2) an oil change must be completed every six (6) months."

Castrol said follow your oil life indicator or the vehicle service manual.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I have not found any useful information on the Motorcraft stuff, for now since I have another 6 quarts of this stuff I will still keep with my original plan of 1 year or if it smells like fuel or looks bad in anyways or if the Timing chain starts making noise on start up.

But I will consider going with full synthetic oil when I need to buy more.

Comment

The people who 1.Sell the oil or 2. Sell a service to change your oil are not the people to ask about an oci. Used oil analysis of similar engines will tell you a lot more about the actual oil life (something good about BITOG, lots of UOA's to dig through there for a common sense approach to it and finding same engines and similar uses to extrapolate a safe OCI). That said, I do 10k on synthetics. My nova gets a once a year oci of conventional since I barely do 3k in a year on it. The truck and cvpi get two, before winter and after winter.

Alex.

Comment

Bitog ?
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          Bitog ?
                          Bob Is The Oil Guy

Some folks are to the point of splitting hairs there, but useful information on certain products. Certainly handy when determining if certain oils are worth the money.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                          X