Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Level ride compressor kick on while the key is off and out of the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the Level ride compressor kick on while the key is off and out of the car?

I normally park my 07 Vic on my driveway that has a incline, yesterday while installing the rear speakers I noticed the compressor kicked on with both back doors open and the key off and out of the car is that normal?

I thought I needed the key on for the compressor to kick on.

Thanks for any insight on this.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I can't give a definitive answer, but my first impression is hell no, it's not normal. If you take something out of the trunk after taking the key out, there is apparently a short period in which the air springs might vent (and they might possibly vent a bit just from you getting out of the car without taking anything out of the trunk), but I've never heard of the compressor doing anything with the key out. I would guess that somewhere along the line there was some kind of connection being made that allowed the compressor to kick on.

Normally one would turn off the air suspension switch in the trunk whenever the car is being jacked up in any way. If not, the air springs might vent a whole lot and require lots of compressor activity during the next startup, but even then I've always believed you would not have compressor activation without the key in. I've had at least one good scare when I put the key in without having turned the switch off. You might want to consider shutting the switch off whenever doing any work that results in height changes until things are figured out.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

It was my weight in the back seat with the doors open that I think caused the level ride to come on, once it was level again the compressor shut off.
      I am thinking I may have a relay fused with a completed circuit. I wish I had a Ford Manual that explains the rear level ride in detail.

Comment

You can get manuals cheap on some type of disk (CD or DVD). AFAIK, the original Ford disks have some kind of date-checking aspect that you can get around (such as by using them on a computer with the date set to the date range of the disk). I got one that was a compilation of several years and models, and it does not have any date issues. I had a look at air suspension stuff, but it comes across as gobbledygook to me (partly due to vision/reading issues), and I probably can't help on my end.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

it will usually do a final trim an hour after you shut the car off and then stop.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

By "trim" do you mean that it will either vent to lower or activate the compressor to raise if required? If I come home, shut off the car, and throw something in the trunk for a trip several hours later, is the compressor going to kick on before I start the car again? Post-drive venting makes sense when you consider people exiting the car and taking stuff out of the trunk, but extra compressor activity would seem a bit odd.

Comment

I managed to find the following under a section relating to the compressor cycling after the key is off for a 2006:

NOTE: The air suspension module is powered for approximately 60 minutes after the ignition switch is placed in the OFF position. During this time, the air suspension will correct for vehicle weight by raising the vehicle.
              I guess that pretty much solves it. All the more reason to turn the switch off when doing any kind of work during which you don't want the compressor to kick on.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I am glad I do not have to chase down another weird problem.

Comment

what the manual says. It's active for about an hour, does a final trim, then shuts down until the next time the key is turned on.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X