2012 Boss 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Boss 302

I picked this car up a little over a month ago. Its not a panther, but its a pretty cool Ford.

I wasn't necessarily looking for one, but we all know how that goes. I should have been getting rid of something, but instead I added to the stable. 2019 has been a bit of rough go for me, and although I've made the best of it, I felt it necessary to get myself a new toy. I am definitely a Ford guy, but I was scratching at 6MT Hellcat Challengers in the Mopar court, but also '12-'14 GT500s, and Boss cars. I have always liked the 2012 Boss better than the '13, because I like the black ground effects and less instrusive grille. In addition to being about $15K-$20K more, the Hellcats and GT500s are portly beings, although certainly well equipped with power. I decided that the Boss was just the performance value I needed. I have not been disappointed.

Some of the OG members will remember that I bought a Race Red 2012 GT/CS brand new, and because of that I have always had a soft spot for S197s (and Fox's, and '67-'68 Fastback cars). I have a thing for white cars as well, and this one showed up for sale in Hudson, OH, for what I considered to be a great price. It was optioned with the both of the only available options (Recaro seats and the factory car cover), and was a 1 owner car with 17K miles. I rented a Challenger R/T and my brother and I drove out to OH to pick it up.

It needed a good detailing, but aside from a couple tiny dings (no paint damage, PDR is coming in 2 weeks) it was pretty much perfect. Weathertechs from new, never driven in the slop, and THE ORIGINAL TIRES, with virtually no wear (who does that?)

I do not know what my plans are for it (my plans are always changing for all of my cars), but it is a super fun car to just drive. It also has the red track key, which is a desirable accessory.

So far, I have done:

**J&M adjustable panhard bar; the rearends are not centered in these cars from the factory, and I consider this a must have
    **Motorcraft Oil Change; they use 5W-50 synthetic (8+qts!)
    **New rotors and pads; I did this because I am fucked up, and anal, and like the rotors to look new. I also painted the rear calipers and brackets flat black to match the front Brembos.
    **Removed the side pipe baffles; this mod kicks the shit out of aftermarket exhaust; the car is just absolutely perfect with the side pipes open. If you didn't know, Boss cars had quad exhaust exits from the factory (the sidepipes are hidden though).
    **High level cleaning/ detail job; there is more work to be done, but I brought it around and cleaned it up to my standards.

At this point I just have paintless dent repair planned. The dings are ever so slight, but once I see them I can't deal with it!

I will say that this car way out handles and out brakes my last S197, although the factory shifter on the MT82 is hot garbage. This thing likes to rev, but I have gotten very frustrated with the shifting north of 7K rpm. It gets very notchy and unforgiving. I did an MGW shifter on my last one, and I suspect I will do the same for this one, in time.

Its the first car I have driven in a while that gives me a shit eating grin. Very happy with the purchase.

At this point my only other thought has been that this engine and transmission in my foxbody would be absolutely epic. Hopefully I can resist the urge to 'yote swap the fox.

Couple of pictures from the for sale ad. I'll get more in time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	1305056

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1305057

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	1305058

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	1305059
    Attached Files
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Nice ride doesn't seem to do it justice.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Beautiful boss man! I almost traded my 17 gt a week or so ago for a ‘12 Boss in race red but you know I wasnt impressed with it to be honest. Its a beautiful car and an awesome one to have though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Favorite Mustang ever. Nice score.
        '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
        formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Nice ride Nate good luck with it.2 things with the trans, change the fluid use XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid from Ford or Pennzoil synchromesh you can get it at Autozone. Also have installed several different shifters in these cars at the shop & we have come to find that the Barton shifter is the best. Being as I am the resident trans guy in the shop I will tell you that mt82 is a bitch to repair, takes a bunch of specialized tools to get it apart ,lots of patience & the knowledge that the parts are costly.It's actually almost more cost effective to buy a new one when it finally does fail.I have one here that came out of a 17 that we put a t-56 magnum in that only has 441 miles on it if you ever need one.

Comment

Got married in 2012. It came down to living with one boss or another. The warmer one won. Still lust for the cooler one.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

BTW very nice homestead I sure would love a peek in the garage.
              2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I wish the magnum didnt have such lame gearing. If it was geared closer to the mt82 I wouldnt mind swapping. And the dual overdrive is overkill imo. I can see why its good to have but for a racing/big power transmission its unnecessary. Im one of the few that actually likes the mt82, even with the factory shifter. The only thing is you can downshift a little too easy. It likes to guide you into the next gear but sometimes it likes to guide you into 4th instead of 6th or 2ns instead of 4th and you wont notice until you lift the clutch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Eddie View Post
                  Nice ride Nate good luck with it.2 things with the trans, change the fluid use XT-11-QDC Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid from Ford or Pennzoil synchromesh you can get it at Autozone. Also have installed several different shifters in these cars at the shop & we have come to find that the Barton shifter is the best. Being as I am the resident trans guy in the shop I will tell you that mt82 is a bitch to repair, takes a bunch of specialized tools to get it apart ,lots of patience & the knowledge that the parts are costly.It's actually almost more cost effective to buy a new one when it finally does fail.I have one here that came out of a 17 that we put a t-56 magnum in that only has 441 miles on it if you ever need one.
                  I am definitely going to do a fluid change before a shifter swap. Good to know we have an MT82 guy here on the forum! I don't suspect that I will drag race this car, but I would like to do some open track days, and I sure do like to unwind it on the twisty back roads.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Got married in 2012. It came down to living with one boss or another. The warmer one won. Still lust for the cooler one.
                  Ah yes... unfortunately(?) for me the cars proved a better investment in the long run.

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                  BTW very nice homestead I sure would love a peek in the garage.
                  Ha! That's the guy's house I bought it from. Very nice place indeed, much nicer than my pad. Although my garage ornaments are more impressive than his, especially now.
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Very nice Boss. I'm partial to that year as well.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

[QUOTE=P72Ford;833926]I am definitely going to do a fluid change before a shifter swap. Good to know we have an MT82 guy here on the forum!
                      I wouldn't call me the mt-82 guy have only repaired 3 should be called the tremec guy repaired 1000's of those.The first mt-82 I repaired needed a 5th gear synchro which is a common problem on 11-13's.Long story short 10 days & $500 in specialized tools later I got it fixed.We charged the customer $2600 which with the time spent was a considerable loss.We could have bought a reman from Ford for $2795 so in my eyes repair was not cost effective.With either of the fluids I suggested they do shift better.Another good upgrade is to replace the plastic line from the clutch master to the slave with a quality braided line. Don't cheap out & buy the Chinese ones off ebay buy one from Steeda or some other US manufacturer.

Comment

So I am changing directions with a lot of things in life these days, and my cars are no exception. I have decided to downsize my holdings for a few reasons:

*(1) I can only drive one thing at a time, and with (5) vehicles now I definitely have favorites
                        *(2) I am looking to move and want to prepare now for "only" having a 2 car garage (I have a 4 car now), and
                        *(3) Its about quality, not quantity

That being said, the Boss isn't going anywhere. Instead, I am in the process of peddling my '90 LX, and in the spring I am going to unload my Harley. They say 2 wheels moves the soul, but not for me it doesn't. I like spinning tires and banging gears in a 4 wheeled contraption much more than riding.

Cashing out those assets will afford me the ability to get where I want to be with this car, and move into a house I actually would like to live in for an extended period of time (been in this one 8 years, and it was a "starter" home for me).

So where do I want to be? Drag racing! Not in a class or anything per se, and most of the time it will be at the track.

As of right now, the Boss parts inventory (in stock) is as follows:

*15 x 10 and 17 x 4.5 Black Racestar wheels, loaded with Hoosier drag fronts and 28-13.50!-15 Quicktime Pros
                        *UPR fully adjustable solid UCA and HD mount, and solid adjustable LCAs
                        *Swaybar relocation brackets (to run 15s in the back)
                        *DSS 1 pc aluminum driveshaft
                        *BMR front and rear DS loops
                        *BMR drag drop springs
                        *MGW X-Spec flat stick shifter
                        *JPC Racing line lock kit
                        *FRPP rear girdle
                        *Arai Classic gloss white helmet

Slowly getting some stuff installed (should be done by months end), but I will be in the market for an aluminum car trailer this spring, and depending on how things go, I'd like to do double adjustable shocks and struts later in the year.

My lofty goal is to run 11.50 on the factory tune up. Fully expecting I may need a better clutch to get there, but I've seen video of a Boss with the window sticker still on it running 11.60s on DRs. Once I reach my goal, we'll see...

Comment

This year didn't go how I though it would for this car, but I'm just fine with that!

Name:	a.jpg
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1288154

Comment

That car looks so killer

Kind of off topic, but when you crib up the tires like that, are you using screws, or nails?
                            I need to do this to my car as well
                            Thanks

Comment

Update! I still have this car! I had big plans to race it, but then the Vid hit! I have pretty much returned it to stock, sold off the parts and just go for rides here and there on weekends with my lady. It is a fun "dinner car". I did get "B302" for a license plate .

Plans for 2022:
                              Oil Change (Motorcraft), and FRPP filter
                              Gear oil change (AMSOIL)

Drive it!

In my backyard.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1289973

Posed with the Hemi Ram.

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1289972

Comment

Working...
                              X