How do remove the gauge cluster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do remove the gauge cluster?

I tried a search but couldnt find anything for boxes. I cant get the headlight switch off is the biggest issue really. How does it come off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehehe. You have to reach up behind the headlight switch and feel for the little button to push and release it. It becomes quite the endeavor. Bring band aids.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

that f'n headlight switch. Whatever sadist designed that thing should be beaten.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Back when cash for clunkers filled the salvage yards, I pulled an almost mint dash pad from a gorgeous 88 CV. “Almost” mint because some bimbo exploded the dash going after a headlight switch and creased the pad by the switch.

If you or someone you know has skinny hands and fingers, it helps.

Off topic: that 88 had 52k miles and the clear plastic seat covers over garage kept maroon velour. Suck it Obama.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

A nice trick with the Mercury clusters is if you pull the cover off the cluster after you get the dash trim out of the way, you can unscrew the transmission indicator from the cluster and swing it out of the way. I typically use that method to avoid having to remove the whole indicator cable.

You can also get to the speedometer cable from underneath the dash. You'll just need to feel around for it. IIRC, you just press down on one side and pull backwards and it should release.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Good stuff thanks guys. Ill probably try to tackle it again tomorrow. Im replacing the inner bezel, outer bezel and a few of the bulbs. Today I finally got the ac going and was very surprised. I ran out of refrigerant but even with the stock mechanical fan it still was blowing about 70 out the vents at hot idle in almost 100* ambient temps. With the refrigerant topped off I dont see why I couldnt get down at least into the mid to lower 60s at hot idle. I figured it would get warmer but I was pleasantly surprised. I do have a pusher fan laying around just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X