high volume oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high volume oil pump

On boxes, anything to be gained from a ( more flow) pump? With or without upgrades?

For a good small block Ford: IMO nothing gained, a few horsepower lost.
    IMO Stock volume and pressure are fine.

If the tolerances are on the loose side and you are having oil pressure problems, a high volume will mask the problem. I’ve seen people do this with OBS Ford trucks before selling them.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

the other problem with high volume pumps in old nasty motors with not so awesome oil returns is they can actually put enough oil in the top of the engine that it runs the sump low. The drains have to be in pretty bad shape for that to happen though.

Otherwise, no point unless the motor is sloppy enough that it doesn't make oil pressure, and really that isn't the way to fix that problem correctly anyway. it will serve as a band-aid though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And you can snap the stock pencil thin driveshaft for the oil pump with the additional load. It's only 1/4" hex on 302's 5/16" on 351.

Comment

Working...
        X