driveshaft for my particular build..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driveshaft for my particular build..

some of yall are somewhat in the loop on my build, some not. but what i got going on is the well know disc brake axle swap package from the 90s aero cars. ive run into quite a few little snags i didnt expect since im starting with a car that has a 255 engine, and an 8.5 rear. most people who have documented their builds have at least started with a 302 and an 8.8, and maybe just wanted a lighter shaft with a gear change... idk but im having trouble understanding info that im finding. im gonna be throwing a few variables at this scenario and most ive already sorted... but a few things are still on the fence as im not sure which conversion parts to use. so hopefully ive got the right idea, maybe someone else can help me along. ive got my axle and all the bits mainly piled up.

ive discovered i can no longer use my box's driveshaft. its going into a manual car, so length isnt an issue, but its heavy, rusty, unbalanced at highway speed and needs new ujoints. so i may as well try to find an aluminum one. i was planning to use my original pinion flange swapped to the 96 rear. fine and dandy except i didnt think about the change from 8.5 to 8.8, so my flange wont swap. this limits me to the 96 flange that came with my axle. ok neat, but now i need u-joints to make that happen. those exist and have been well covered and i plan to replace with new anyway. but what about when i factor in the aluminum driveshaft that i want? theres so many things ive changed, im not 100% sure on the course of action.

my loosely laid plans consist of using my 82 box driveshaft yoke to fit the t5, from there ill use an aluminum shaft and appropriate replacement ujoints without changing the rear flange.

when it comes down to it, im wanting to reassure myself so i dont buy shit 2 or 3 times... i think all im going to need is the front conversion ujoint since ill be using (ideally) a 90s aero driveshaft. BUT if i were to find a whale aluminum shaft, what will i be required to change to make that fit? or is the same as the aero?
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck
Working...
X