1986 MGM 5.0 gas fumes;-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 MGM 5.0 gas fumes;-(

So as of late I am smelling gas fumes under the hood, and inside the car?
    "Seems" to be more "potent" after I fill her up with gas.

Where should I look..........there are no leaks that I can discover.

Thanks in advance for the sleuthing suggestions!

Might be worth looking at the hoses going to and from the charcoal canister. Mine were pretty rotten from age and I’d get the gas smell from time to time. Replaced with new hose and the smell went away.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I will tell you that there is what appears to be a med size rubber hose (vac size) that comes out from under the intake manifold to a plastic "T"..then the other side of the hose does down to some device sitting on the pass side fender apron......the area of the T was frayed I put duct tape around it because to replace the hose the intake has to come off:-( Is this my problem?
      Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      Might be worth looking at the hoses going to and from the charcoal canister. Mine were pretty rotten from age and I’d get the gas smell from time to time. Replaced with new hose and the smell went away.

Comment

Where is the canister located?
        Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          I will tell you that there is what appears to be a med size rubber hose (vac size) that comes out from under the intake manifold to a plastic "T"..then the other side of the hose does down to some device sitting on the pass side fender apron......the area of the T was frayed I put duct tape around it because to replace the hose the intake has to come off:-( Is this my problem?
          You are describing the canister purge solenoid.

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          Where is the canister located?
          Directly underneath the battery.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            You are describing the canister purge solenoid.

Directly underneath the battery.
            Thank you!

Comment

I'd be looking at the fuel line under the driver's side A pillar. Thats where it fails first and it usually starts by smelling bad. Check the fill neck for rust too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another place gas fumes can escape from is a poor sealing gas cap.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also check the injectors to see if any are leaking. I've had that problem with my 93 a couple of times.

Could also be a rust hole in the filler neck or a bad seal at the tank. I've had both of those happen with the Mark VI and the bad filler neck grommet on the Mad Marquis as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    Also check the injectors to see if any are leaking. I've had that problem with my 93 a couple of times.

Could also be a rust hole in the filler neck or a bad seal at the tank. I've had both of those happen with the Mark VI and the bad filler neck grommet on the Mad Marquis as well.
                    Many thanks guys, guess I have to beg a lift to put the car up on to check everything out

Comment

Working...
                    X