Wipers acting strange.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wipers acting strange.

My wipers don't work unless the switch is on and I am driving for 8-15 minutes.
    They once started when I hit a bump.
    I thought since the delayed, it would be the switch.
    I replaced the switch with a NOS Motorcraft switch. Still don't work.
    I cleaned pine needles out of the wiper box and still no go.
    There is no binding.
    Could it be the wiper motor?
    1990 Colony Park.

Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

You may need a wiper Motor or something in the wireing is bad.

Comment

Thank you.
      Going to get a motor tomorrow.
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

I had one that would not wipe often, then I realized it was more likely to wipe when going over bumps. In my case a new MFS did the trick, but you have already replaced that. So, as Rodentkiller said, the motor would be my next step as well. Although give a quick look at the wires and connector(s?) at the wiper motor before grabbing a new one. If nothing obvious looks wrong, the motor may be the culprit.

Sort of unrelated, the MFS for a '94 will work in a '90-'91. The main difference I've noticed seems to be the behavior of the wipers when changing the wiper setting. The older switch seems to start the first wipe of the newly selected setting right away, while the newer switch will not start the next wipe unless sufficient delay has occured for the newly selected setting.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thank you Vic

Comment

Where is the wiper pulse board?
            Would it cause the wipers to not work and then come on at random?

Comment

Working...
            X