Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check engine light

I have an 87 mgm and I know some of them got check engine lights. My car I believe has one. My question is, is it functional or does it only come on when its overheating? Attached is a pic of the lights. Its an older pic, I have a new unbroken bezel in its place lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the red "replace engine" light. It only comes on with no oil pressure (below 6 psi) or overheating. Check engine light would be amber/yellow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

IIRC the amber “check engine” is where your “check level” (oil level) light is. I think it’s mostly a 1989 thing.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Oh ok, I couldnt find any concrete info other than some got it. I was thrown off because I see other years (earlier) had a check oil light in its place. Mine is always illuminated, it didnt used to be on until maybe couple months ago. Im not concerned because it doesnt make noise and I dont drive the car that much but maybe I should check it just in case.

Comment

if its constant on, its either oil pressure or water temp. Easy test, unhook the wire off the oil pressure sender and see if its still lit with the key on and engine off. If it is, unhook it from the temp sender. Could also be the wire is chafed and shorting to ground. I would make that work, its not much of an indicator but its better than nothing.

or put in actual gauges since the idiot lights are pretty near to useless.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It would seem unplugging both had no effect but I was a little rushed. I was driving and when I stepped on it, it felt funny. Then coming to a stop it started to sputter. I shit a brick because of the check engine light then this. I got it in the driveway and popped the hood and found the plug wire on cylinder 6 popped off and was arcing on the exhaust manifold. I plugged it back in and all is well again lol. Ill see if I can get my gauge on there when I have time just to see what the oil pressure is though.

Comment

Alright so I’m revisiting this because another issue popped up. I replaced the coolant temp sender and all was good for a time. Now recently I’ve noticed when it’s hot and I’m coming to a stop the light will come on and won’t go out until I start driving again. It can idle all day long no problem it’s only when it gets driven. Does this sound like a failing sensor or do you guys think the oil pressure is low? Also where do I hook up a gauge? I believe I need a special tool to remove the oil pressure sensor right?

Comment

You do need a special socket to remove the sensor for the oil pressure. What some here have done is remove the oil gauge sensor and put in a mustang oil pressure extension and then add a gauge or whatever. It brings out he ports for the oil pressure accessory's to attach to away from the oil filter and block. Too tight otherwise to get anything in there..well sending unit wise for gauges.

You would hook up a gauge to the port the sensor is in. Again..may be difficult to tighten anything down due to spacial constraints.

My guess is your oil pressure is low. Next time at a light with left foot on brake pedal and light illuminated try giving it some gas to see if the light goes out with the rpms. I am guessing it would based off your descriptions.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

These are fairly famous for oil pressure switches that drift out of spec over time.

Get a real gauge on there to check it.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you guys for the input. It’ll go away when I start accelerating but not immediately, there’s a bit of a lag but yeah it could be low oil pressure. The thing is it doesn’t do it at idle in gear where it’s lowest where you’d think it would come on its only when coming to a stop. My guess is that the aod sticks in 4th and only downshifts when almost to a stop so it drags the rpms down. Welp there’s only one way to find out I guess. I’ll let you guys know what I find. I’m thinking about adding a remote oil adaptor and adding an inline port for the oil pressure gauge.

Comment

Also, check the oil level and make sure it's not too low. The oil pickup is in the rear.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Sounds stupid but I didn’t check. The low oil light has been on for some time though. When it first came on I added a quart and the level looked to be fine but the light didn’t turn off so I just figured it was a faulty oil level sensor but maybe it somehow did lose more oil. Luckily the car hasn’t been driven much recently, I’m afraid of screwing it up. I’ll check it later and probably throw in another quart.

Comment

The 88 MGM I used to have would turn the low oil light on at about 2 quarts low, but would go off immediately after adding one quart. I would top it up though. And if you drove around with the low oil light on... you may have been even lower than that and be sucking air when slowing down.

Comment

I added about a quart or so and it turned off. I didn’t have time today to do any testing but I will hopefully later this week. And yeah as soon as it started coming on I took it off the road and only drove it to and from the gas station.

Comment

Some of these do not have accurate dipsticks. Only way I know to verify is to do an oil change and see where the oil lands on the stick with 5 quarts after draining both pans and replacing the oil filter. It should be in the crosshatch area after startup to charge the filter. I had one from a junkyard car that was way above it and a previous owner had scribed new lines on the back of the stick.

low/no oil pressure at hot idle is also not uncommon but make sure you have enough of the right grade oil first. Confirm whats going on with a gauge. If its under 5 psi at hot idle the switch is going to come on. Basically means the bearings are worn out. The proper fix is rebuild the bottom end, the realistic fix is running slightly heavier oil and just making sure you have the right amount. These things will go for years with loose bottom end bearings as long as you don't rev the piss out of it.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X