No announcement yet.

Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 10w30 or 10w40 in the old lopo 5.0L 5W20 won't work well. I've run into the problem with some shops not having 10W-anything and wanting to use 5w20 in an old engine. I told them where to stick it and I would do the oil change myself. I think that was the Ford Dealer too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Great advice thanks guys. I’ve changed the oil in this car before but I never really thought of going with a thicker oil I’ll definitely do that next time around. And I’ve read about the dipstick issues in these cars. I’ll keep my eye on it after it’s been changed. I think it needs to be changed soon anyway. And I need to change the oil in my 09 p71 so might as well knock them both out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

mind the oil weights. I think the 09 using 5w20 while the 87 uses 10w30/40 (or 20w50 if it's really sloppy)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Some of these do not have accurate dipsticks. Only way I know to verify is to do an oil change and see where the oil lands on the stick with 5 quarts after draining both pans and replacing the oil filter. It should be in the crosshatch area after startup to charge the filter. I had one from a junkyard car that was way above it and a previous owner had scribed new lines on the back of the stick.
          Can confirm. There is mark way above my dipstick's cross hatch area and that's about where my oil level is after an oil change.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

there is a TSB from Ford that basically has those instructions. I think that says do do filter and 4 quarts, mark where it sits, add another quart, mark that. Oil has to stay between the lines. Apparently someone fucked up a batch of dipsticks in the late 80s and the official fix was to just make new marks and tell the owner to ignore the factory fail.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well that explains a lot. When I changed my oil I put maybe 3 1/2 quarts in and it was about halfway up the cross hatch. When it read over at 4 qts I started to wonder what I screwed up. Never would've figured the dipstick was wrong.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                there is a TSB from Ford that basically has those instructions. I think that says do do filter and 4 quarts, mark where it sits, add another quart, mark that. Oil has to stay between the lines. Apparently someone fucked up a batch of dipsticks in the late 80s and the official fix was to just make new marks and tell the owner to ignore the factory fail.
                It never occurred to me to do that.. I will next for the next oil change.

Comment

I couldn’t get the oil pressure switch off so I topped off the oil and ran it some more. I think it’s time for an oil change and I’ll step up to 10w30 probably. I took it on a few cruises when I could between jobs and no more low oil light or engine light. Even when it got nice and warm it still wouldn’t come on so I’m guessing it was low on oil and that’s why it was acting the way it was. I’ll still keep my eye on it though. Funny enough it seems to run better too.

Comment

10W30 is no thicker than 5W30 when at operating temperature. All the "W" designates is that it's a multi viscosity oil, the number before the W denotes that it'll "behave" like a 10 weight when at 32F. Make no mistake, it'll be thick when cold..

Comment

Hmm I didn’t think of that, point taken. I’m at least going to step up to a 30 weight. I believe I’m running 20 weight as is.

Comment

Yeah.. 20 is a little too thin for a 302. Need at least 30 to keep the oil sensor happy.

Comment

Good to know thanks.

Comment

The sensor sometimes will come out with a normal deep socket, but there is a special goofy socket thats supposed to be used for it. Depends how stuck yours is. I think its this, but not 100%. Don't actually own one, the few I've had to pull have come out with a standard deep socket.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-13900-P...07DY5G868?th=1
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll probably pass on it for now as it seems like my issue is gone for the moment. If the issue returns I’ll pull it.

Comment

I don't trust my sensor, but every oil change I verify it does work... Maybe I should trust it. Would be nice for road trips as it would mean I don't need to open the hood every time I get gas. Although if that light pops on mid way through a tank of gas or earlier, that's a big inconvenience right there.

Comment

Working...
                                X