Rear air suspension operating logic - 2007 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear air suspension operating logic - 2007 Town Car

Just looking to confirm some of the operating logic of the RAS system on my 2007 TC.

Venting (lowering) and filling (raising) are both accomplished at the compressor assembly under the hood, correct? Just a matter of whether the vent solenoid or the compressor motor is energized? The air bag solenoids open during both tasks, they function exactly the same whether the suspension is raising or lowering?

I am beginning to suspect that my newfound '07 has a lazy compressor, leaky air line from the compressor to the bags, or the controller is bad and not opening the bag solenoids during a fill. The solenoids and bags are definitely OK, the car maintains height perfectly when parked for days and the ~1in drop after turning off the engine and opening/closing door works as it should. However, when filling, the compressor runs on and on, sometimes tripping the Check Air Suspension message. The ride height does appear to sustain in the long term, which means the filling is half-a$$ed working. My old '02 MGM, which was a very low-mileage vehicle, only took about 10 seconds to raise the car.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

I think you logic is correct.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Nice score otherwise. I can only agree with jaywish at this point. The post-driving period is about an hour, and it will even raise itself during that period if the conditions are right. Sitting for days without droppage certainly rules out leaks at the air springs. I guess soapy water would be the ideal choice for chasing down a line leak. If you want to buy time and don't expect heavy loads, you can turn the system off for awhile. It should be able to go for weeks without droppage in the absence of leaks at the air springs.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

You understand how it works.

Often when it doesn't fill, its leaky air lines or a weak compressor. The soapy water around the connection points test will tell for sure. If its got a big leak at any of the air line connections or between the compressor and the drier it will not pump up effectively. If it doesn't leak and still doesn't go, its probably the pump.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys, I agree that the soapy water test on all connections is the best way to proceed. I'll update in the next few days.
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Working...
          X