PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Brake hoses.

Default Brake hoses.

I'm getting stainless braided brake hoses made for my 97 MGM. Apart from the hoses going to the calipers. Are there any other rubber brake hoses on the car? I see on Rick auto that they have a "Center" brake hoses. I couldn't find anything under the car unless it's really hidden.

Any insight? Thanks.

That'd be the brake hose to the rear brakes. Look at the transistion point from body to axle.

At the rear of the car? The hoses go from the body straight to the calipers. They don't go on the axle than the calipers.

I post a lot...

ABS vs. non ABS
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I have ABS

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

None of the rear disc brake cars have the center hose. They all have a hose that runs from the caliper up to the hard line in the wheel well area. The drum brake cars from the 80s have a center hose over the axle and steel lines from the center top of the diff out to the wheel cylinders.

The difference between ABS and non-ABS is the hoses on the driver's side. ABS has only one hard line connection, non-ABS has 2. Passenger side are all single connection.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

If down the line I want to upgrade to 1998 front calipers. Do I need new front brake hoses?

it says 98-02 on the hoses, but I know people have bolted 80s hoses to the 98-02 calipers. Looks like the 98-02 hoses have a steel L section at the caliper end where the 95-97 ones do not. Possible it will bolt up and function, or the hose might turn into a steering stop and rip apart at full lock. Don't honestly know. My 86 with the big brakes runs 98-02 hoses.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Make sure the hoses have a protect coating around the ss as mandated by law....could be PVC or some other material.

The line going from the master cylinder to the ABS Module has an uncovered section of stainless braided hose. It's in good shape, just uncovered.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    None of the rear disc brake cars have the center hose. They all have a hose that runs from the caliper up to the hard line in the wheel well area. The drum brake cars from the 80s have a center hose over the axle and steel lines from the center top of the diff out to the wheel cylinders.

The difference between ABS and non-ABS is the hoses on the driver's side. ABS has only one hard line connection, non-ABS has 2. Passenger side are all single connection.
    I have a 1993 Grand Marquis. I need to replace the hose at the drivers side rear, near the wheel. I don't remember if I have drum or disc brakes on the rear The hose has a two line connection fitting. This means I do not have ABS? The guy at the parts store wanted to know if I had ABS or anti lock and I did not know what to tell him. Are ABS and anti lock the same thing?
    Last edited by Donal; 11-07-2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: clarification
    1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donal View Post
    I have a 1993 Grand Marquis. I need to replace the hose at the drivers side rear, near the wheel. I don't remember if I have drum or disc brakes on the rear The hose has a two line connection fitting. This means I do not have ABS? The guy at the parts store wanted to know if I had ABS or anti lock and I did not know what to tell him. Are ABS and anti lock the same thing?

ABS stands for anti-lock braking system, you should have just told the part guy your question. Do you know how to flush/bleed a brake system after replacing the hose?
    Last edited by knormal; 11-07-2019 at 09:54 AM.

92+ all had disc.

and yeah, ABS = Antilock Brake. If its a hose with 2 metal lines screwed into it, you do not have ABS.

if one hose is bad, I'd probably replace the other one too. They've been on there the same amount of time. Me being me, I'd more likely do all 4, they're old enough at this point to justify it.