Tko600 crossmember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tko600 crossmember

Hey guys new member here, if this thread does not belong here then pleade forgive me.

I have a 1988 colony park that Im converting to a 5 speed and I need to knoe if the original (AOD) cross member will work. If not, then will one work off a thunderbird SC or any other aftermarket?

Thanks

Manual trans stuff on these things is pretty much a “get your engine/trans in there and make everything else fit” ordeal.

I say see what happens. Good luck with the swap.

Why the TKO600?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Howdy!

So, I did a TKO 600 in my ‘83 2dr.

The crossmember/rear mount worked with the TKO...

But from there you must make a choice. The tailshaft has a mounting area that will hit the crossmember. You can either trim it, or notch the crossmember.

I opted to notch the crossmember. I look forward to your build! If you have any questions about the TKO specific stuff just let me know.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Tiggi,

Yeah, ingenuity is to be expected when swapping a manual drivetrain into a car that has been exclusively automatic and underpowered. Ive considered -many- other gear boxes, most of them will fit and handle nicely, but the shifter is either too far, or right underneath the seat. I really wanted to go with the M5R2 out of an f150, but the damn shifter would be just inline with the firewall. So, I settled on the tko since the shifter has multiple spots to have. Wouldve been nice to have a 3.92 as a first gear..

Comment

This sounds exciting. I've always wanted a stick in a box but people keep talking me out of it.

Comment

Grand Marquis GT,

Nice, so besides the clearance issue between the mounting area it just plopped right in? And yes, any info on bushings, bellhousings, etc would help out tremendously, thank you. Do you have any videos of that bad boy?

Comment

I had to do some cutting of the trans tunnel for it to all fit underneath.

I used a C6 yoke, Ford Racing TKO bellhousing, and mustang clutch fork. I will say you will have to shop around for a clutch. You need a 26 spline clutch, which is normally a T56 spec item.

Once I get the car back out here I can certainly grab some good video. I am running the stock 1983 302 with headers and a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb. Runs pretty good!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
              X