No announcement yet.

1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloth seats on a 960 are nice, but they are IMHO much worse in "feeling" than 760 "edelvelours". Half leather is cool ,but only if this is a not the standard "salt'n'pepper" colour.
    All Volvo 2-dins work well with YATOUR virtual changer, and have quite nice sound capabilities. Especially the Premium Sound System ones.
    Remote locks are IMHO quite basic for a late 960. Might be wrong though.
    Out of weird languages, I only speak Dutch
    My general point is that a 960 has to be have something "worth" in it to make the additional costs acceptable

264 looks like a genuine US version!

Speaking of a D24, people in PL call them "Tico" after Daewoo Tico, a crappy Korean small car (similarity to the "D24TIC" code). I have one 116KM D24 rotting in the field. If only someone will be able to fix the underbelly cheap, I am willing to replace the D24 with any sensible engine, maybe 24V PRV and paint in fake Svenska Polis titles and use to drive my pets to the vet, and as a pasture inspection barge.

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
      My general point is that anything has to have something "worth" in it to make the additional costs acceptable
      This exactly. With an old Volvo, I'd prefer to spend on going faster. But with my budget, there's probably a million other things to take care of first. I really like Volvos, but I don't think I can very easily get close to what I want out of one, atleast currently. I should atleast go test drive a few.
      But higher end E39 would be really tempting, you'd get the going fast right away, plus keeping a car stock is something I'm now starting to appreciate. And I could focus on the little things to make it perfect, without necessarily spending alot.

Cheap, high horsepower BMW just screams solid investment doesn't it?
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Slushy weather and and some proper snowfall, enough shit flying on the roads. I had enough of the rear wiper. I just unbolted the wiper arm, I might try and find a grommet/plug for the shaft hole and take out the whole motor assembly later.
        - The wiper arm spring mechanism is rusty and the spring is weak, it doesn't even wipe a third of the area it covers, less at high speeds.
        - The wiper "parks" on the wrong side of glass, the arm looks upside down constantly, because it is.
        - The rear washer spray motor has never worked, and I have zero intention of paying 30€ for an item that I'll not use.
        - Sometimes when I use the windshield wipers, the rear one activates too (it isn't supposed to). There might be a short in the stalk or so.
        - And naturally all the rear wiper does is scratch the hell out of the rear glass with all the crap that gets on it in wet weather.

Also the broke red lights housings that are on the doors tend to fall out. I managed to crush one rear some time ago, as it got caught between the door and body. Found one at a junkyard, but the fronts were broken on that car too. Today I installed the new used rear one and the other three with copious amounts of epoxy to make sure they stay in place. Only the best for my little shitbox.

Comment

Volvo is getting jealous about me looking for other cars online.

The handbrake broke, doesn't hold at all. Something's gone loose on the left side and the brake shoes go clunk-clunk-clunk. I have zero motivation to pull this thing apart on the icy, snowy driveway. It's -15°C out and it's only getting colder the next week.

Also yesterday a friend casually mentioned that I have no reverse lights, I have no idea when those have went out, up to a month ago possibly. I guess I'll start with the fuse...

To top it all off a rock or stud chipped the paint in the fender I replaced last summer and now the paint is flaking off badly.

Comment

It was only -11°C today so figured I'll check in on the handbrake.
            The drivers side top spring had removed itself halfway, causing the shoes to rattle around. Popped it back in back in and adjusted both sides.
            Seems to work pretty good again.

The reverse lights are out due to the reverse switch / PNP switch at the shifter. The whole center console needs to come out for that job, I'll wait for warmer weather to not have every plastic piece shatter into a million pieces.
            Reverse lights flicker a bit when going from reverse to park so the switch might've just gotten loose, it might be salvageable. A new switch isn't terribly expensive but expensive enough relative to the cars value to piss me off.

Comment

I have a bad switch in my Continental, but its a stupid one used only in diesel Lincolns and 80s Land Rovers. Its like 250 bucks and I don't want to pay that much for one.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

After some more reading, the PNP switch isn't by the shifter, but in the engine bay, attached on top of the transmission. Many sources say it can be rebuilt, but equally as many say it won't work for very long or at all. Also rebuilding it includes bending the casing and retensioning some tiny ass springs.

I have to pull the battery, airbox, intake tubing and some other miscellaneous crap from out of the way.
                Found a finnish retailer selling the PNP switch for only 65€ and it's even in stock!

Also my expansion tank is still weeping, I might try and fix it more with some teflon tape or such. A new tank is about 26€ at least.

Comment

I got lucky and found an NOS expansion tank for the Conti for like 25 USD. I bought it as a spare, then the one on the car started weeping through a crack about 2 weeks later.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Today the Volvo didn't want to start. Got going after fucking with the shifter, the PNP switch seems to be dying completely. Good thing I ordered a new one yesterday.

Didn't order the expansion tank though. I'm gonna leave it be or might try teflon tape or such if I get sufficiently bored. I'll just fill it up if someone comes to look at the car and hide the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post

Didn't order the expansion tank though. I'm gonna leave it be or might try teflon tape or such if I get sufficiently bored. I'll just fill it up if someone comes to look at the car and hide the bottle.
                      Just hoping you are just joking... try a dual-component epoxy putty/glue. There should be a few ones made especially for fixing coolant pipes and joints. My car mech used one to put a closing lid in an unused outlet in the radiator we used for 960 (I got a nice deal for a Denso one, but it was for a 8v turbo, not 16v one). So far so good.

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
                        Just hoping you are just joking... try a dual-component epoxy putty/glue. There should be a few ones made especially for fixing coolant pipes and joints. My car mech used one to put a closing lid in an unused outlet in the radiator we used for 960 (I got a nice deal for a Denso one, but it was for a 8v turbo, not 16v one). So far so good.
                        I did exactly that already, top of last page. Tank has gotten brittle and small cracks are all around the bottom nipple, I slathered it generously with epoxy. Still the tank weeps from around the bottom hose. The hose isn't in the best shape either, but it's still soft and I can't find a reasonable replacement locally. Volvo dealer wants 40€.
                        I need to try and tighten the hose clamp more, the tank nipple has a metal sleeve in it but I'm afraid that I'll break the whole thing off.

Was I joking? I dunno, they use teflon tape to seal pipe threads on pretty much anything, so why not try it on a hose?

Comment

Today the Volvo came dangerously close to needing a jump. Might've had something to do with it being -24°C and not having used the block heater. Even my steering wheel, gauge cluster lens and ignition cylinder was real frosty, so frosty I had to move the key from start to run by hand after starting

Also I spent a whopping 90 cents on improving this thing today, I bought a new oil cap o-ring!
                          Like many Volvos of this vintage, the oil cap seal gets hard and doesn't do it's job. Then the crankcase vapors spew out from under the cap and run into the spark plug wells and down the block.
                          I don't know if this was a good idea though... Now that the oil cap seals, with the totally fuckered PCV and healthy amount of blowby, taking off the oil cap gives off a quite loud plop of depressurization, atleast when cold.

I intended to replace the PNP switch next Sunday, it was supposed to be around 0 degrees and sunny, but the forecast has changed to about -10 degrees and it might snow. If it snows a meaningful amount, I'll postpone it so I won't hate my life.

Comment

Got the PNP-switch changed today. What a PITA, fiddly and tight as hell.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20210220_140415_LI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1288653

Down there...

But now my reverse lights work again, also my shifter is way stiffer, which is fine, but the detents feel less now, which isn't nice.

Comment

The handbrake is clunking again and barely holding the car in place. Not that I use my handbrake for anything else than sliding around, but the clunking is annoying once again.

And the blower resistor blew AGAIN today too. I don't get it, I changed the whole blower motor last year. Unless the combination of a cheap aftermarket resistor and a cheaper aftermarket blower motor was too much.

This fucking car man, I'm just about to trade in this shit for scraps just to get rid of it.

On other news, I'll most likely trading wheels with a friend, since she really wants the black alloys I have on this. And I certainly don't care what wheels I sell this car with.

Comment

Well, the cheap (15€) chinese blower resistors are out of stock, so I had to get an oe-quality one locally. Didn't want to wait for a slightly cheaper one since I've got to drive for over 2 hours on monday and I don't want to listen to the blower on full blast.
                                Professional parts sweden blower resistor was 60€ over the counter, which is still 50€ less than original Volvo.

I've had the glove box removed 5 times now, so installation was a breeze. The offending part had started literally crumbling, which could indicate that the blower resistor failed internally instead of blowing due to the blower motor drawing too much amps.

For shits and giggles and out of boredom, I dug into the history of this car as much as I could without spending money.
                                The car was sold new to a finnish bearing manufacturer, most likely a rep car or so on, kinda cool.
                                After a couple years it was sold and registered for licensed use (non-private basically).

Most likely it was used as a fire chief car, "fire scout" or such.
                                There have been switches installed on the blank spots on the dash, the dashpad has had a couple larger things attached to, something large-ish was also mounted on the driver A pillar. There are also extra blocked-off holes under the front roof rail mounts, the roof rails have a lot of wear, and the roof has dents and a few heavy scuffs. Such use would also explain why the interior has so little wear for almost 400 000 km, but then again the trunk looks very much worn. Also the car is already red.

Comment

Working...
                                X