PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

speed density then? If so then it won't care about air leaks so long as the MAP has proper vac signal

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Reconnected the battery, fired right up, no more engine light. I guess all it needed was a reset.

We'll see how far I drive tomorrow without a christmas tree of dash lights
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Well I didn't get any warning lights on the dash...

I'm pretty sure the silicone gasket stuff failed between the intake and throttle body, idle at park is a solid 2000 rpm and in gear about 1400rpm.
    I gotta redo all that crap, also I'm a bit afraid that I might have stripped some threads on one of the bolts that attach the TB to the intake.

FFS...

Work on the Merc will be refreshing after this Volvo madness!
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I certainly hope so!
    I'm still going back and forth about the carb swap idea. Then I'd be modifying and not repairing, which is a big difference.

The main annoyances in working on the Volvo is everything usual is somehow packed behind something that otherwise never needs to be removed etc. There's quite a bit of space in the engine bay, but it's not utilized at all.

That and TORX

As I suspected, the silicone wasn't sealing anymore. Confirmed by spraying start spray around the throttle body. It had failed from the "underside".

At the parts store only sheet gasket material available was way too thin, so I used the 1mm fire-resistant sheet that I used in the MGM's EGR.
    Boltholes I punched out with a hole punch and carved out the holes larger with a carpet knife. The center hole I cut out with tinsnips, those worked incredibly well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200105_154514.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	53335
    It isn't pretty and the holes aren't exactly round but hopefully it'll work. I don't see why it wouldn't.
    I'll get put back together tomorrow, ran out of daylight today.

Half an hour fiddling saved me about 8 and a week of waiting.

As long as there's good contact area on both mating surfaces... it should work well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

flat gaskets aren't magic. I've made plenty of carb gaskets in similar ways, usually using a hammer to tap out the pattern and whatever cutting tool made sense. Tin snips work really well for thicker material.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I was about 3 millimeters from completely losing my shit today.
    AKA this close:

Name:	20200106_130753.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	53336

I was putting back the throttle body, casually tightening the four bolts in to the aluminium intake. Those bolts feel weird, it's like they start tightening but the resistance doesn't increase. Without much effort, one bolt just snapped.

Name:	20200106_130801.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	53337

I got the rest of it out with locking pliers, found a similar bolt, in with a washer. Even has a 10mm head like the original.

Got everything back together, seems to run fine, idle is back to normal. Hopefully the gasket lasts.

Name:	20200106_140744.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	53339
    Just another day with a Swedish brick. A redneck fix at a time.

I recently finished up some tune up work on the benz I have. The upper part of the valve covers house a PCV breather valve cover that is held in with an assortment of hardware ranging from actual valve cover bolts (both sandwiching this upper piece and the lower together) as well as some aluminum bolts into the aluminum valve cover which were very thin. Despite being warned numerous times about NOT over tightening those thin bolts I snapped one. The bolt literally was just snug and then snapped. Working on cars can be fun....
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I dislike excessively feeble hardware, especially when it breaks in inconvenient ways.

This thing is driving me out of my mind...

With the new gasket, it leaked.
    Now I redid it with silicone on both sides of the gasket and got those bolts to the verge of stripping. Still leaks.

So, either the threads are fucked or the surfaces aren't flat or I'm stupid and missing something important.

Use a fine flat file and run it across the surfaces. You'll find the high spots. Be careful, you don't want to take much off, just the highs. If you lay the file on and just slide it across it will guide itself. When you see shiny spots the whole way across, its flat.

I don't dare say it's fixed, but maybe the issue is "circumvented"?
    I tightened the bolts a tiny bit more, a bit beyond what my consience allowed, but I don't think I broke anything.
    Then I checked the throttle blade, it didn't actually close completely, so I screwed the idle speed down.

Now, the idle doesn't surge at all anymore (it was very mild anyways), also the difference in RPM in Park vs. in gear is also quite small again.

Since this doesn't use a mass air system, it ought to be fine, O2 readings will correct the computer probably.
    It might affect the emissions, but hopefully I won't be the one seeing the failed emssions check results

Dash lights went out.
    I wasn't having any of that, so I gave a proper open hand slap on the dashboard and they all came back (except for the burned out ones)
    The trip computer screen's backlight has also been on and off constantly, it seems to be somehow related to the dimmer switch.

Also the keyless entry fob decided to break. The loop for a keyring just disintegrated when I dropped my keys onto a table. I guess it's the cold that got it so brittle.
    So I taped the fob to a keychain, yeah...
    I looked up the remotes on the internet, 80€ for new remote, can't find any shells.
    So it's going to stay taped to the keychain. For now.

Side mirror started flopping on the highway today. The mirror glass itself, not the whole unit.
    Got home, the mirror glass almost dropped from just touching it. Good thing it didn't let loose at 120km/h.

I removed the back plate and cleaned both sides. Now it's glued and clamped tight, I'll get it back on the car tomorrow.

It's the little things with cheap cars...

surprised you cant find a shell for the fob. Did you try ebay? They often have cheap crap like that. Probably some questionable quality China knockoff but it might be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    surprised you cant find a shell for the fob. Did you try ebay? They often have cheap crap like that. Probably some questionable quality China knockoff but it might be good enough.
    You'd think so, I did too. I browsed ebay and amazon, couldn't find even the questionable chinese crap. I can only find the key fobs used or new complete units for 60-90.

Mine looks like this:

Name:	fullsize_38279.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	53435
    Or used to look like at least.
    To my understanding, this type was used for only a short while for 960/940 and 850. Even my classmate that has an 850 too, has the newer style remote.

So today I finally finished what I started before the whole throttle body fiasko: the steering column cover.
    It rattled real bad, to be exact, its this little flap thing on the top part.

Name:	20200202_143821.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	53459
    You can just see it in the pic closest to the dash. It goes under the dash when the column is fully in.

So I jammed some blu tack between the tabs and the top cover.
    Then it was time to put it back together, relatively less of PITA than taking it apart.

Name:	20200202_143906.jpg 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	53460
    Two torx (holes close to eachother) hold the bottom part to the column.
    The two other holes near the edge have smaller torx screws that go fix to the top part of the cover. Except these holes are deeeeeep.
    So deep, that with a basic L-shape T10, the tiny tool goes all the way in up to the bend.

Name:	20200202_144056.jpg 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	53461
    Due to the shape of the hole bottom, after the tool slips off the screwhead, its really hard to find the head again.
    Then I tightened the screws all the way by gripping the little bit of the torx bit with pliers, and so it is back in.

It's just stupid that the screws easily available are T15 and the ones that go really deep in are smaller. Because naturally a smaller head is attached to a shorter shaft, eh?
    Also all the pics are rotated again, oh well.

Keyless entry works again, new batteries and reprogrammed it and voila. Press the button and hear the familiar chu-chunk.
    Fob is again taped to a finance company keychain, this time with a type of cloth grip tape, much nicer than regular packing tape.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 02-06-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast