No announcement yet.

1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a significant difference. Though still riddled with chips and scratches (as you say) the value rose up tremendously in a buyers eye if it became for sale. Great job.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Always admired those 'box' Volvos

Chris

Comment

Yes, that looks much better. Even if it's not perfect, it looks perfect compared to how my attempt would turn out.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by cbala View Post
          Always admired those 'box' Volvos
          Yeah, cool in their own ways. Though Volvos are seen completely differently in this part of the world.
          Mine would be the dream of the basic vocational school chump, if it was rwd and fast. A quick image search for "volvoraggare" will get you anything you ever need to know.
          The 850 is probably the uncoolest box Volvo

Mint 700-series are starting to go up in price, can still find relatively lightly molested ones for under 2k€
          Same with 200's.
          850's have hit rock bottom some years back and will stay there for quite a while, perhaps eternity.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The Volvo is back! Kinda.

I woke up the thing yesterday, fired right up (after I charged the battery...) The thing knocks a bit when cold, exaggerated this time since it hadn't been started for a month.
            Drove it up and down the street a couple times, accompanied with a lot of veeery slightly blue smoke for the first half.

Inspection ran out earlier, so today I took the thing for an inspection. It failed.
            One fail and two advisories, a front ball joint (aka replace whole arm), torn CV boot and worn rear bushings (don't care). Also the emissions values are really close to failing, not surprised.

I bought the parts, got home and went at it. Fuck rust.
            First nut rounded off immediately and the rest I left untouched, I don't have a torch or other equipment to remove rusty ass hardware, so I've got to take it to a shop.
            I'd have to take it to a shop anyways, since I'm not doing the timing set myself.

Shop job list:
            Timing belt
            Water pump
            Engine & trans oil
            Lower control arm
            CV boot

Fcken eh, another chunk of money going to a car that might not pass emissions next year.
            I've got to the get the thing in working order before taking the MGM into winter storage, and preferably not have the Volvo grenade itself soon after.

Comment

Winter tire season is soon here, and I wanted to clean up the steelies I have studded tires on. I didn't bother even washing them before putting them away last spring, and they sat under a tarp outside all summer. Plus they weren't exactly in good shape from the beginning.
              The steelies are so rusted that they chip all around in 1-2 mil thick pieces, they need to be sandblasted to even consider painting them. I don't care about them that much, even if they are Italian made original Volvo steelies. The rusty steelies look so shit I don't want to put them even on this beater of a Volvo.

So I got these for a whopping 60€
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_150630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1288140
              They are original Volvo alloys from something, pretty shoddily spray painted but supposedly round and good.
              I'll probably throw some more black paint on them and some clear coat so they'll last atleast a single winter without chipping paint.

Also I wanted to add some "contrast" on the completely stock appearance of the red brick.
              So what could I possibly add to the outside of a boxy Volvo?
              -The prancing moose

Name:	20201018_155059.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1288141
              On both sides, of course.

I've got another dumb visual mod ordered, worth about 5€.

Comment

always thought those prancing moose emblems were funny but its even more appropriate on a red brick. The Saab troll stickers are also funny.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  always thought those prancing moose emblems were funny but its even more appropriate on a red brick. The Saab troll stickers are also funny.
                  Here the moose stickers are like kind of an unofficial bullshit symbol of Volvo enthusiasts, mostly the younger guys. Others might think it's dumb, and they're probably right a lot of the time. Jävla Volvoraggare

Would you like to drift around on snowy roads in an RWD brick? - I would.

Comment

So, from terrible squealing noises while turning, I suspected a bad wheel bearing, which is not the case. Which is good and kinda not good.
                    Atleast the rear right brake is sticking, haven't gotten to the left side yet.

Name:	20201028_144248.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1288166
                    Yeah, brakes done in 2017 my ass.
                    Surprisingly, the rotor is usable and only has very minor grooves in it from riding on the worn-through brake pad.
                    Somebody has been driving with the parking brake engaged a bit, the shoes have worn deep into the drum of the brake disc. Took some effort to get the drum/disc off, but the shoes have plenty of life left.

Currently the biggest issues is getting the brake pistons back in the caliper. Tried pipe pliers or whatever those angled pliers are in english, didn't do anything. A screw clamp got the first piston moving, but I got a bit carried away and snapped the damn clamp

Off to get some new pads and probably a clamp or two that aren't for woodworking...

Comment

So, naturally things got more complicated as I got to doing it.

The right caliper was pretty seized and I couldn't it to move freely at all. Left side was a little better, but both got replaced.
                      New Brembo calipers, pads, hardware, and fluid.
                      Also got new brake line fittings, twice.

Of course the brake line fittings wouldn't cooperate and I had to cut off 3 of the 4 that had to be removed, one then removed with a proper socket, two I just left in the old calipers, not my problem.
                      This Volvo has brake lines from such a hard metal, I had to remove the short brake lines to use the flaring too jammed tight in a bench vise and a cheater pipe to get any results.
                      Spent a couple days cursing in the driveway, weekend well spent.
                      Didn't think I'd have to go under the car, but here I am again with rust in my eyes, ears and nose...

Atleast I saved some money doing it myself. And actually saved a bit than the usual DIY case. My new friend wanted to help out, she works at a local auto parts store and gets an 18% staff discount from spare parts.
                      With some tip for her effort, I still saved 20€ on the brakes, and got them delivered to me

Even with that, I went to the auto parts store FIVE times this week, little odds and ends every time.

I had the car on jackstands for almost a week so I painted the lugbolts and swapped over to studded tires along the way. My new alloys look fuckin mint on the car, along with new Volvo center caps.
                      Gonna get a couple pics of my now- rally spec Volvo tomorrow after a wash, where daylight exists once again.
                      Last edited by Arquemann; 11-01-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Once again... so glad I don't live in the rust belt. Even "rusty" stuff around here is mainly surface and still workable.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Once again... so glad I don't live in the rust belt. Even "rusty" stuff around here is mainly surface and still workable.
                          To you, my MGM might be "rusty", but here it's pretty much perfect. The Volvo is pretty well-preserved being sold new here 24 years ago
                          Everything in the Volvo's wheel arches is pretty much just a few different shades of brown, but it's still in good shape since you can still see where bolt heads are and stuff usually comes apart with heat and violence.

This is one of the brake calipers I removed: (pins are knocked out, wasn't like that all the time)

Name:	20201029_164839.jpg
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1288190

This is a brake caliper that went in:

Name:	20201030_182801(1).jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1288191

...I think I can hear the southerner and california car guys screaming internally.

Funny thing is, many of you rust belt folks drive unbelievably rusty cars, we don't see that in Finland, because of annual inspections. If the inspector pokes a screwdriver through your rocker, floor, wheel arch, quarter panel, or anything remotely "structural", it's a failed inspection and you've gotta fix it.
                          Volvo's rear arches are pretty bad, and they might be an issue in a year or two, but hopefully not my issue.

It's too cold and windy today to wash the car.
                          Last edited by Arquemann; 11-02-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I totally understand that. Not having to deal with undercoating, brine, salt, sand, and all the issues that come with all of that are a major plus in my book. Not having to use heat and violence helps my ability to actually get things fixed. That said, this is nothing close to the real rust jobs I've seen from folks up north, so it's definitely still in good shape. The brake line horror stories are the real fear factor in my opinion.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

LOL, rust is just part of life around here. No inspections in MI so some of the stuff that fails in other states (rusted through rockers) is just a way of life here.
                              http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post842229
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                                LOL, rust is just part of life around here. No inspections in MI so some of the stuff that fails in other states (rusted through rockers) is just a way of life here.
                                Here most people watch out for rust, even when shopping for a beater like the Volvo. Because you gotta fix that shit if you want to keep driving it.
                                Where you live, without inspections, one can just buy a rust bucket that runs and drives and condemn it to a slow death of rotting to the point it's no longer safe to drive.

If an old car isn't suffering from rust, it's usually kept alive. Cars in general are expensive in Finland, especially new cars, so folks keep their cars in shape.
                                This year the rebate for scrapping a car that's 10+ years old is 1-2 thousand euros, the rebate is only applicable for new cars with CO2 emissions less than 95 grams/km, a FUCKING E-BICYCLE OR PUBLIC TRANSPORT PASS.

Personally I'll keep driving old crap because financing isn't very appetizing as an unemployed student (or at all) and in the future I'd rather spend my money on something older and nice vs some brand new 1.0l shitnugget that you can barely call a car.
                                Also there's something about inefficient, antiquated crap that I really like...

Comment

Working...
                                X