No announcement yet.

1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The throttle body and 90° pipe with PCV connectors were just caked with crap, the throttle blade was just completely black.
    After a full can of tb cleaner, the end result:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_133414.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1286352

Here's how the intake looks behind the TB:

Name:	20191229_133213.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1286353
    The PCV hose in the pic is full of crud and sludge and this car might have some sort of issue with the PCV. Eh, not today.

Also the intake pipe has different diameter ends so I "fixed" it, since getting a silicon ricerpipe would require more fiddling.

Name:	20191229_152921.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1286354

Tightening the hoseclamps, I dropped my ratchet into the engine bay and since it was dark, I'll continue tomorrow. I'll check codes too, my dad has a codereader.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Pipe is now back in, ratchet retrieved from the depths of the ancient swedish machine.

Fired up nice, so atleast I got the plug wires the right way. I had it idle for a while, no misfiring. Didn't sound like there was any intake leaks so my classy duct tape fix probably works, hopefully for some time too. The problem might be reoccuring, but atleast didn't happen this time.

Comment

New year, new warning lights! Nvm, it's still 1,5h till 2020...

Went out, for about 5 kilometers everything was normal, then the trans arrow light started blinking, trans went into limp mode and Malfunction Indicator Light came on (little lambda symbol, basically the check the engine light). Idle was also a little wavy.

Drove back home, read the codes, a generic TPS faulty code, erased it and it didn't return.
        Everything seems to work normally again. Trans light went away, idles fine. Except the CEL light is still on, but there's no codes, I even checked again later.

So my car got problems, I basically said no and erased code, now works fine? Except that damn light...
        Man, this car...

Comment

random dead spot in the TPS might be the issue.

if it doesn't give codes for un-metered air source, your tape fix works.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From what I read, the CEL just might be "left" on, someone mentioned on the interwebs, so I removed the battery, we'll see if the light goes out.

Also from reading: These 10v engines apparently don't have a MAF sensor, instead, a intake temp sensor in the same hole.

Comment

speed density then? If so then it won't care about air leaks so long as the MAP has proper vac signal
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Reconnected the battery, fired right up, no more engine light. I guess all it needed was a reset.

We'll see how far I drive tomorrow without a christmas tree of dash lights

Comment

Well I didn't get any warning lights on the dash...

I'm pretty sure the silicone gasket stuff failed between the intake and throttle body, idle at park is a solid 2000 rpm and in gear about 1400rpm.
                  I gotta redo all that crap, also I'm a bit afraid that I might have stripped some threads on one of the bolts that attach the TB to the intake.

FFS...

Comment

Work on the Merc will be refreshing after this Volvo madness!
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I certainly hope so!
                      I'm still going back and forth about the carb swap idea. Then I'd be modifying and not repairing, which is a big difference.

The main annoyances in working on the Volvo is everything usual is somehow packed behind something that otherwise never needs to be removed etc. There's quite a bit of space in the engine bay, but it's not utilized at all.

That and TORX

Comment

As I suspected, the silicone wasn't sealing anymore. Confirmed by spraying start spray around the throttle body. It had failed from the "underside".

At the parts store only sheet gasket material available was way too thin, so I used the 1mm fire-resistant sheet that I used in the MGM's EGR.
                        Boltholes I punched out with a hole punch and carved out the holes larger with a carpet knife. The center hole I cut out with tinsnips, those worked incredibly well.

Name:	20200105_154514.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1286373
                        It isn't pretty and the holes aren't exactly round but hopefully it'll work. I don't see why it wouldn't.
                        I'll get put back together tomorrow, ran out of daylight today.

Half an hour fiddling saved me about 8€ and a week of waiting.

Comment

As long as there's good contact area on both mating surfaces... it should work well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

flat gaskets aren't magic. I've made plenty of carb gaskets in similar ways, usually using a hammer to tap out the pattern and whatever cutting tool made sense. Tin snips work really well for thicker material.

Comment

I was about 3 millimeters from completely losing my shit today.
                              AKA this close:

Name:	20200106_130753.jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1286374

I was putting back the throttle body, casually tightening the four bolts in to the aluminium intake. Those bolts feel weird, it's like they start tightening but the resistance doesn't increase. Without much effort, one bolt just snapped.

Name:	20200106_130801.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1286375

I got the rest of it out with locking pliers, found a similar bolt, in with a washer. Even has a 10mm head like the original.

Got everything back together, seems to run fine, idle is back to normal. Hopefully the gasket lasts.

Name:	20200106_140744.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1286377
                              Just another day with a Swedish brick. A redneck fix at a time.

Comment

I recently finished up some tune up work on the benz I have. The upper part of the valve covers house a PCV breather valve cover that is held in with an assortment of hardware ranging from actual valve cover bolts (both sandwiching this upper piece and the lower together) as well as some aluminum bolts into the aluminum valve cover which were very thin. Despite being warned numerous times about NOT over tightening those thin bolts I snapped one. The bolt literally was just snug and then snapped. Working on cars can be fun....
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X