No announcement yet.

1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dislike excessively feeble hardware, especially when it breaks in inconvenient ways.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This thing is driving me out of my mind...

With the new gasket, it leaked.
      Now I redid it with silicone on both sides of the gasket and got those bolts to the verge of stripping. Still leaks.

So, either the threads are fucked or the surfaces aren't flat or I'm stupid and missing something important.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Use a fine flat file and run it across the surfaces. You'll find the high spots. Be careful, you don't want to take much off, just the highs. If you lay the file on and just slide it across it will guide itself. When you see shiny spots the whole way across, its flat.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't dare say it's fixed, but maybe the issue is "circumvented"?
          I tightened the bolts a tiny bit more, a bit beyond what my consience allowed, but I don't think I broke anything.
          Then I checked the throttle blade, it didn't actually close completely, so I screwed the idle speed down.

Now, the idle doesn't surge at all anymore (it was very mild anyways), also the difference in RPM in Park vs. in gear is also quite small again.

Since this doesn't use a mass air system, it ought to be fine, O2 readings will correct the computer probably.
          It might affect the emissions, but hopefully I won't be the one seeing the failed emssions check results

Comment

Dash lights went out.
            I wasn't having any of that, so I gave a proper open hand slap on the dashboard and they all came back (except for the burned out ones)
            The trip computer screen's backlight has also been on and off constantly, it seems to be somehow related to the dimmer switch.

Also the keyless entry fob decided to break. The loop for a keyring just disintegrated when I dropped my keys onto a table. I guess it's the cold that got it so brittle.
            So I taped the fob to a keychain, yeah...
            I looked up the remotes on the internet, 80€ for new remote, can't find any shells.
            So it's going to stay taped to the keychain. For now.

Comment

Side mirror started flopping on the highway today. The mirror glass itself, not the whole unit.
              Got home, the mirror glass almost dropped from just touching it. Good thing it didn't let loose at 120km/h.

I removed the back plate and cleaned both sides. Now it's glued and clamped tight, I'll get it back on the car tomorrow.

It's the little things with cheap cars...

Comment

surprised you cant find a shell for the fob. Did you try ebay? They often have cheap crap like that. Probably some questionable quality China knockoff but it might be good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  surprised you cant find a shell for the fob. Did you try ebay? They often have cheap crap like that. Probably some questionable quality China knockoff but it might be good enough.
                  You'd think so, I did too. I browsed ebay and amazon, couldn't find even the questionable chinese crap. I can only find the key fobs used or new complete units for 60-90€.

Mine looks like this:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsize_38279.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1286434
                  Or used to look like at least.
                  To my understanding, this type was used for only a short while for 960/940 and 850. Even my classmate that has an 850 too, has the newer style remote.

Comment

So today I finally finished what I started before the whole throttle body fiasko: the steering column cover.
                    It rattled real bad, to be exact, its this little flap thing on the top part.

Name:	20200202_143821.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1286457
                    You can just see it in the pic closest to the dash. It goes under the dash when the column is fully in.

So I jammed some blu tack between the tabs and the top cover.
                    Then it was time to put it back together, relatively less of PITA than taking it apart.

Name:	20200202_143906.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1286458
                    Two torx (holes close to eachother) hold the bottom part to the column.
                    The two other holes near the edge have smaller torx screws that go fix to the top part of the cover. Except these holes are deeeeeep.
                    So deep, that with a basic L-shape T10, the tiny tool goes all the way in up to the bend.

Name:	20200202_144056.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1286459
                    Due to the shape of the hole bottom, after the tool slips off the screwhead, its really hard to find the head again.
                    Then I tightened the screws all the way by gripping the little bit of the torx bit with pliers, and so it is back in.

It's just stupid that the screws easily available are T15 and the ones that go really deep in are smaller. Because naturally a smaller head is attached to a shorter shaft, eh?
                    Also all the pics are rotated again, oh well.

Comment

Keyless entry works again, new batteries and reprogrammed it and voila. Press the button and hear the familiar chu-chunk.
                      Fob is again taped to a finance company keychain, this time with a type of cloth grip tape, much nicer than regular packing tape.
                      Last edited by Arquemann; 02-06-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I just find it slightly funny to see a "beater" Volvo. They're considered to be a somewhat premium car in the US, and the notion of taping a key fob to a key chain and using blue-tac to fix rattles would probably make people's heads explode. I realize its not some exotic import for you though. Here if you're driving a European car its assumed you have too much money and/or poor judgement because obviously all Euro cars are expensive and unreliable.

Comment

My late Grandma drove a Volvo for 1 year due to all of the problems and what tore it for her is when the Transmission went kablooy on the road when she was going home from the Beauty Salon with my sister. She went to driveing GM's for the rest of her life.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I just find it slightly funny to see a "beater" Volvo. They're considered to be a somewhat premium car in the US, and the notion of taping a key fob to a key chain and using blue-tac to fix rattles would probably make people's heads explode. I realize its not some exotic import for you though. Here if you're driving a European car its assumed you have too much money and/or poor judgement because obviously all Euro cars are expensive and unreliable.
                            I found it amusing that for many of you here, these panthers are the beaters, the daily drivers and generally quite cheap cars but built like tanks, like older Volvos (definitely to lesser extent vs Fords). Boxes not so much since they're old, but are they old enough to be considered classic over there?
                            Volvo 850/V70 and V40/S40 (you never got those) are probably the least expensive and least appreciated Volvos still available. Probably a quarter of my uni parking lot are Volvos.

240s and 740/760s are still the cheapest way to sideways during the winter, though they aren't depreciating anymore. Also Mercedes W124s, 190Es and BMW E36/E46, young guys' favourites. An 18 y.o hooning in a '03 BMW, welded diff, bent fenders and steel wheels? Yeah probably not in the States lol.

I actually don't know if we have anything comparable to what a Volvo is over there. Yuppies drive new-ish BMWs, Audis or Porsches/Teslas. Newer Mercedes' are more to the older, wiser folk
                            The most common "american" cars here by American manufacturers are probably Sebrings and Dodge Avenger/Nitro/Caliber. All considered cheap crap.
                            Sometimes I see some new style Cadillacs, Chevy Vans and new-ish pickups. (a fully loaded 2020 Silverado 2500 w/ tax is about 100 000- 110 000€)

Comment

I had three Volvos. All the 240 series. Great cars except for electrical problems ! Those were tough durable cars. I was thankful that I had access to a Volvo only wrecking yard in Sacramento Ca. Those people knew what you needed and had most everything. I still think Volvos are a good car. I would not want to keep a new one over five years though. Just like most vehicles now. Expensive to fix.

Comment

Dash lights and other backlights (heater, gear selector, switches) went out completely.
                                This time they won't come back no matter how much I smack the dash or how much I fiddlefuck the dimmer switch.

Hopefully it's the dimmer switch that went kaputt, those are cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X