Issue with LED headlights installed by previous owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with LED headlights installed by previous owner

I just purchased an '89 Grand Marquis a few days ago and I'm having a problem with LED headlights that were installed. When I pull the headlight switch, none of the headlights come on but all other lights work. If I fully engaged the high beam lever, the two outside lights come on, but all of the LEDs (15) in each are lit. If I just flash the high beam lever, all four lights come on with all of the LEDs in each lit. I assume it's just a wiring issue, but I'm not sure what exactly.

May need to repin your connector to H4 specs, if that’s what your LED bulb wants.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i f that doesnt work, sealed beams aren't that spendy
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        May need to repin your connector to H4 specs, if that’s what your LED bulb wants.
        So i switched the pins. Now when the low beam lights come on, only the LEDs that are supposed to light up come on, which is good, but I still have to use the high beam lever to turn them on. And the high beams still only work if I pull back on but don't fully engage the lever.

Comment

Sounds like you may have swapped the wrong two pins.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do you get any power at the connectors when the headlight switch is on but the high beam lever is off? If so at least you then will know which is the low beam hot wire,
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the green wire is high beam, red is low, black is ground. In stock form the green wire goes to both inner and outer lamps, the red goes to the inner only.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I had to spend the weekend working on my wife's Corolla so I haven't been able to look at it again, but I will as soon as I can.

Comment

Working...
                X