351W Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351W Build

So my original 351W is starting to knock when cold. As a result I've decided to begin building a higher performance replacement. I've already bought a roller 351 out of a 96 pickup. I need to take the cam bearings out and check to see if it has the journal cracks- either way I'll be going roller.

So my current plan is to have the shortblock rebuilt with stock pistons, throw some Trick Flow TW 170's on there (supposed to be equivalent to AFR 185's), have my Edelbrock Performer 4 barrel intake (with EGR, a rare beast) professionally ported by "Tmoss", throw in a custom cam, and put a Holley Sniper self learning fuel injection unit on it.

The goal is to have it smooth and very streetable, work on 87 pump gas, while making the most amount of power with those exceptions.

If anyone has suggestions to help improve my build please chime in! Especially about other heads and cams. I know some people will say the heads are too small for the engine, however that seems to be coming from drag racers posting online.

Click image for larger version

Name:	73352341_2741434199223197_7296747006058299392_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1305077
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I am starting to collect parts for my 87 rebuild. HAVE to replace the oil pump....so the whole damn engine needs to come out anyway. I am goona stick with the hydro flat tappet. Been looking at these heads seems like it is a possiblity. From what I have heard, GT40 heads really dont do that much.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flo-T...ead,46332.html

This cam

https://www.lunatipower.com/barebone...o-270-280.html
    Last edited by Grand1; 10-19-2019, 06:02 PM.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Any reason you're keeping the EGR?

enormous heads don't make for wonderfully streetable motors. If it sucks under 3000 rpm, thats just not useful.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I went from stock D8 heads to gt40s, definitely a power increase, but nothing to write home about, even after upgrading it to a 4 barrel.

I’m sure those flo teks will perform decently, my only concern is who knows how many miles they’ll last though compared to one of the higher budget heads

When I yanked my trick flows off the maverick and took them to the machine shop they were still like new- needed nothing. I was very impressed.

Love me EGR- lower combustion temps at cruise, higher timing potential during cruise, less NOX emissions, potential for slightly better mpgs ... There’s no reason not to keep it- especially since I already have the intake and system running it. Even if I get another intake- id still have to have it ported. They don’t make very good performance carb intakes for the 351w when mater with aluminum heads
        Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-19-2019, 09:05 PM.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

FYI: These are those journal cracks he referenced.
          https://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...lock-guys.html

You will probably need the small CC version of any head because of the stock style pistons have those huge reverse domes. And they will probably still be .025" in the hole if you're not decking the block beyond a clean up.

Not sure any of those throttle body efi rigs can handle a EGR system either, so you may not be able to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            I went from stock D8 heads to gt40s, definitely a power increase, but nothing to write home about, even after upgrading it to a 4 barrel.

I’m sure those flo teks will perform decently, my only concern is who knows how many miles they’ll last though compared to one of the higher budget heads

When I yanked my trick flows off the maverick and took them to the machine shop they were still like new- needed nothing. I was very impressed.

Love me EGR- lower combustion temps at cruise, higher timing potential during cruise, less NOX emissions, potential for slightly better mpgs ... There’s no reason not to keep it- especially since I already have the intake and system running it. Even if I get another intake- id still have to have it ported. They don’t make very good performance carb intakes for the 351w when mater with aluminum heads
            That’s the first time I’ve heard of anyone touting their EGR system! Lol. To me the benefits are greatly overshadowed by one drawback...they turn the intake into an oven. I wouldn’t bother with spending money on go-fast parts just to negate the benefits by jamming super-heated air through them. Hot air is not dense air and dense air is where the power is. Just my $0.02.
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

You plan on a custom cam. Good call. Do you mean one made specifically for your build.?
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Unless you have the TW170s, go with the 170 11R. I'd actually go with the 190 11R (same money at the 170), despite your modest goals here.

Roller cam and link bars.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Other people who have asked are told by holley the sniper system wont work with EGR...bummer.

Yes a custom ground cam for my build. Might as well get out of it exactly what I want. Recommendations of companies welcome!

The 190's will require different pistons, or I would consider them. The 11R's seem nice, but are a decent chunk more $$ than the regular twisted wedge pieces. The block is already a roller, so it'll be getting a roller cam, any particular reason for the link bars?
                  Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 10-21-2019, 09:46 PM.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Linkbars or dog bones help to stabilize the rollers and keep them from spinning in the hole and destroying the cam.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ahh the dog bones- of course, they come stock with the lifters in this case. I wasn’t as familiar with the linked lifters
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I thought you were using the original engine, and would be retrofitting a roller grind, only reason I suggested link bars.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Jim Woods @ FordStrokers.com does custom grinds
                          Ed Curtis @ FTI cams is said to grind good cams

Those are the 2 custom cam grinders I looked into when I was considering a cam.

In any event; can't wait to see what you come up with.

Comment

Was looking at this....you get alot for $880.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/fits-Ford-3...4383.l4275.c10

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Definitely get a cam from Ed @ FTI, he takes into account all your specifics and power goals. If needed, he'll also provide matched components like valve springs, etc, that are precisely meant to work with your setup and the cam he grinds for you. As for the heads, if you didn't already have the TFS i'd suggest AFR's for sure, and even 165's would be fine on a mild 351, and make a shitload of torque. Watch the episode of Engine Masters where they test 3 different AFR heads on a 408 windsor. They test 165, 195, and i think 205. Of course the 205 makes the most power but they all marvel at the glorious torque/power curve that big motor makes with the small heads. It's pretty impressive. Having acquired a set of 165s, i really wanted to put them on my 347 but it's already set up for the edelbrocks and i reckon they're on it now so i'm just going with it. Really wanna put those heads on something, just need to find the right victim.

Far as the egr crap goes, if you don't have to, i wouldn't use it, and run a better intake like an RPM air gap. Kudos on the EFI plan though, i've been toying with something like that on a future project, seems a great setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X