No announcement yet.

351W Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually looking at ED Curtis for the custom cam.

As this build is currently still fluid, i've decided to go with the Trick Flow 190 11R's. They are pretty amazing, and they do not require different pistons (i thought they did) despite their massive 2.05 intake valves.

The RPM air gap looks sweet- im going to keep my eye out for a used one. If not i'll just get a performer RPM when one pops up used. I will most likely still want to get it ported to match the heads though
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

You could give this place a call. Open 50+ years and they've always treated me right.
      https://www.midwayperformance.com/predatorcams/
      We'll be dynoing a 393 Cleveland for me this week. I'm hoping it does around 600 HP and 500 Tq.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

I think summit or pro-products has a knockoff of the RPM air gap that's probably a bunch cheaper and flows almost as good.

Comment

A few more thoughts- Supporting mods.

Rear is a rebuilt 8.8 with trac-lok, driveshaft is a new police aluminum unit. Im not really worried about these. However if the more experienced guru's out there thing a support cover/girdle for the 8.8 is necessary i may get one.

Transmission. stock 82 unit with 86 valve body and Baughmann shift kit. I would probably be worried about grenading this...however my stock truck tires don't exactly scream traction. I think they will spin far before ruining the transmission. Im also not planning on drag racing it. Thoughts?

Anything else anyone can think of that im missing here? I would ideally like to upgrade the brakes, but that's not happening right now with my current wheels. I have performance pads that have resisted fade nicely so far.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Thats the weakest of the AOD's, so I wouldn't trust that it will hold up. You can get a bit more out of it if you upgrade the overdrive servo, but the later cases had some extra lube passages that help things survive. If you can lay your hands on a later transmission, even to use as a future core, it would be worth doing. Generally the 89+ case is considered to be the best.

You can do a 95-97 upgrade. They're somewhat larger and most of the way to the 98-02 brakes should you want to change the wheels later. I'd probably really only consider this if you were planning on doing a suspension overhaul anyway.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I don't think you'll need a girdle if you don't plan on hooking the car hard on drag radials or similar. They are nice looking, but hardly worth the expense for cosmetics only.

I second Thain's suggestion on the transmission. May want to swap the governor in the one you have in the meantime though, as the power band is going to be different with you new engine mods.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

That’s good to know about the girdle- no drag radials here!

I’ll look around- I was most likely going to get a new torque converter to match the engine, go off of whatever the cam grinder recommends to match it.

A new governor is a good idea! I’m sure the engine will be happy up to or beyond 6K
                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-23-2019, 10:17 AM.
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

You will definitely need the governor if your power band is that high.

The TransGo unit has served me well and their tech support is 2nd to none.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

See what John did with the nuked trans out of his 86. That would serve as a core.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                      That’s good to know about the girdle- no drag radials here!

I’ll look around- I was most likely going to get a new torque converter to match the engine, go off of whatever the cam grinder recommends to match it.

A new governor is a good idea! I’m sure the engine will be happy up to or beyond 6K
                      I have a 92 trans that does work. It could stand to get serviced with some seals replaced and a valve body. A nice converter would probably help as well. It has park too! Just needs a broken bolt extracted for the shift linkage mount. It decided to break when I tried removing the shift linkage when I pulled the trans.

Comment

So I was able to pull the motor apart this weekend- No sign of any cracks but i still have to take the cam bearings out tomorrow to be sure. Cylinder walls are almost like new- no lip to speak off, has all its crosshatching. I'm fairly certain i can get away with just having it honed. Main and rod bearings were all in serviceable shape. I'm hoping to have far lower machine shop costs than I was expecting-
                        Most likely Ill have it hot tanked, magnafluxed, and generally just have it gone over. I don't see why it wouldn't take standard size bearings, which I could install myself.
                        Anyone on here have any idea what having a shop do that would cost based on experience? The less I spend on that, the sooner i can get the heads.
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

As far as the Rear cover support goes, I have detonated 2 rears in the MegaMerc, always on regular street tires. To be fair, I have done many monster burnouts and it has made a "few" dragstrip passes....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

if you need to mic the crank, I've got micrometers. Unfortunately I do not have a set of inside mics to do the bores.

Comment

Just catching up on this thread. I'm a fan of studs in the mains and a girdle if you can squeeze it in with a new pan.
                              Down the road...a strong bottom end let's you do whatever you want.
                              Kinda puts the whole "2-bolt isn't as strong" to bed too...
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

I don't think I'm going to be needing an engine girdle, the cost to make the engine 500-600HP is substantially more, and at 400-425 it's well within the safe limits.

Gadget- thanks, I may take you up on that, however I'll probably have the machine shop check everything while its in there and just confirm that it'll take stock pistons/rings/bearings.

I tried googling it to no avail- anyone know if these have cast or hypereutectic pistons?
                                Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 01-19-2020, 03:41 PM.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X