PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 351W Build

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

I don't think you'll need a girdle if you don't plan on hooking the car hard on drag radials or similar. They are nice looking, but hardly worth the expense for cosmetics only.

I second Thain's suggestion on the transmission. May want to swap the governor in the one you have in the meantime though, as the power band is going to be different with you new engine mods.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

I AM DOWNSIZING!!!!

Thatís good to know about the girdle- no drag radials here!

Iíll look around- I was most likely going to get a new torque converter to match the engine, go off of whatever the cam grinder recommends to match it.

A new governor is a good idea! Iím sure the engine will be happy up to or beyond 6K
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-23-2019 at 10:17 AM.

You will definitely need the governor if your power band is that high.

The TransGo unit has served me well and their tech support is 2nd to none.

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

Ď87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

See what John did with the nuked trans out of his 86. That would serve as a core.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    That’s good to know about the girdle- no drag radials here!

I’ll look around- I was most likely going to get a new torque converter to match the engine, go off of whatever the cam grinder recommends to match it.

A new governor is a good idea! I’m sure the engine will be happy up to or beyond 6K
    I have a 92 trans that does work. It could stand to get serviced with some seals replaced and a valve body. A nice converter would probably help as well. It has park too! Just needs a broken bolt extracted for the shift linkage mount. It decided to break when I tried removing the shift linkage when I pulled the trans.

So I was able to pull the motor apart this weekend- No sign of any cracks but i still have to take the cam bearings out tomorrow to be sure. Cylinder walls are almost like new- no lip to speak off, has all its crosshatching. I'm fairly certain i can get away with just having it honed. Main and rod bearings were all in serviceable shape. I'm hoping to have far lower machine shop costs than I was expecting-
    Most likely Ill have it hot tanked, magnafluxed, and generally just have it gone over. I don't see why it wouldn't take standard size bearings, which I could install myself.
    Anyone on here have any idea what having a shop do that would cost based on experience? The less I spend on that, the sooner i can get the heads.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

As far as the Rear cover support goes, I have detonated 2 rears in the MegaMerc, always on regular street tires. To be fair, I have done many monster burnouts and it has made a "few" dragstrip passes....

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

Ď87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

if you need to mic the crank, I've got micrometers. Unfortunately I do not have a set of inside mics to do the bores.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just catching up on this thread. I'm a fan of studs in the mains and a girdle if you can squeeze it in with a new pan.
    Down the road...a strong bottom end let's you do whatever you want.
    Kinda puts the whole "2-bolt isn't as strong" to bed too...
    All FORD All The Time

I don't think I'm going to be needing an engine girdle, the cost to make the engine 500-600HP is substantially more, and at 400-425 it's well within the safe limits.

Gadget- thanks, I may take you up on that, however I'll probably have the machine shop check everything while its in there and just confirm that it'll take stock pistons/rings/bearings.

I tried googling it to no avail- anyone know if these have cast or hypereutectic pistons?
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 01-19-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12