Shocks for early box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks for early box

My '86 Coupe 'Sherrie' is soft in the backside.
    Not enough to warrant a spring swap YET.
    She's getting new shocks next week, and I thought about some coil-overs to increase her happiness when I put 2 people in the back seat.
    I searched this thread for shock posts and couldn't get a good clear answer so I thought I'd try this before I just go blindly on my way.

Looking for advice/experience with your shocks.
    Thanks ya'll.
    All FORD All The Time

I’ve been running KYB Police rate shocks on all corners for a ‘97 CVPI under my ‘87 for a while. Firm, but not harsh.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I found NOS 1988 rear shocks. They're mushy but they were very cheap. Just watch the mounting hardware. I had trouble with the last set I had on mine. The bolt was a bit smaller than the hole and it ended up slopping around in there, causing strange axle hop problems and annoying sounds. I've had decent luck with KYB stuff in the past.

The saggy ass thing might be more tired rear springs.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the kyb gr2's on my car are over 15 yrs old.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have coil over shocks on the 90 CV and one of the 89 TCs. I really like them as they stiffen up the ride, help with loads, seem to help with handling and raise the rear stance a little.
          I have also had "Air lift" air bags inside the springs on another Lincoln and a Mercury. Those were good along with HD shocks. I prefer the coil over shocks over the air bags.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            I have coil over shocks on the 90 CV and one of the 89 TCs. I really like them as they stiffen up the ride, help with loads, seem to help with handling and raise the rear stance a little.
            I have also had "Air lift" air bags inside the springs on another Lincoln and a Mercury. Those were good along with HD shocks. I prefer the coil over shocks over the air bags.
            Any specific brand or type of coil overs.? I think this is where I'm headed..
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Somebody here was running QA1's on their car. Was it Merc91? Haven't seen or heard from him in a while. Be good to know what model# as i've been considering this myself.

Comment

After reading a thousand different threads here, I've decided on the springs too.
                She's a coupe....and I'm going to try the #925 and #175 springs from speedway. What the hell. I'll be under there anyway.
                Still haven't decided on Shocks.... but I'm leaning toward the KYB's.. Never had them before.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

KYB Gas-A-Justs have been my go to.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

With stiffer springs you want stiffer shocks. Gas-A-Just at a minimum, no mushy shocks with heavy springs or its going to suck. probably want something stiffer really, but frankly I don't know what is the right thing to use.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

had a customer come into the meineke i worked at with a 56 crown victoria, he was looking for better shocks. pulled 4 shocks off the shelf for a 84 crown vic cop car and they fit the 56. ford did not change a whole lot there from the end of ww2 to 2002 lol.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                        KYB Gas-A-Justs have been my go to.
                        Me too. I have them in both my '78 and '89.

The '78 has soft original springs and they work great and the '89 has Moog heavy duty CC817 cargo coils and they work well on that as well. (Though after a couple of years, I wouldn't recommend the CC817 springs... they're too stiff)

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

After reading all of these I just can't come up with a better plan for springs.
                          The stockers are soft enough now that Sherrie lists to the drivers side when I'm onboard.
                          I've dropped 60 lbs in the last 3 years, but if you saw me rolling in Sherrie you'd think I was Fat Bastards younger brother.
                          So they gotta go.
                          The speedway springs are stiffer...should level things out...and not make my ride height too high...? Remember..it's a coupe.
                          If the whole car goes down an inch..evenly... I'll be OK with that.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

im in the market for the same setup and have probably read the same things you have time and time again. i finally decided on speedways at all 4 corners 925/200 and probably mid grade KYB. so those got my vote and it seems to be the best all around setup from what im reading on here. honestly cant find a reason not to give em a try
                            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Plus one big time!!!
                              Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              I’ve been running KYB Police rate shocks on all corners for a ‘97 CVPI under my ‘87 for a while. Firm, but not harsh.

Comment

Working...
                              X