Shocks for early box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
    im in the market for the same setup and have probably read the same things you have time and time again. i finally decided on speedways at all 4 corners 925/200 and probably mid grade KYB. so those got my vote and it seems to be the best all around setup from what im reading on here. honestly cant find a reason not to give em a try

What made you decide on the 925/200 combo.??
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Please let us know how you like the ride quality and handling
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
        What made you decide on the 925/200 combo.??
        long story short, i want to drop it from from factory height, retain the boat ride, and use an off the shelf part. i spent alot of time researching other peoples success and gauged my scenario off of that. the 925/150(?) i think was the softest ride with the most level stance. i plan to build a relatively large audio setup in the back along with (worst case scenario) a full tank of gas and 2 people in the back and not rip my wheel lip mouldings off. so im opting for the slightly higher rate of 200.

in the end i picked the speedways for their reputation among box owners, their slight ride height lowering, and increased stiffness over stock. my complaint is that they wont technically be low enough for what i want and they're a bit stiffer than id like, but best bang for buck i think.

side note, i would recommend any/all bushings at the same time.. stiffer springs quickly pointed out my 35yr old mushy control arm bushings...
        Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 10-27-2019, 06:37 PM.
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

you're not going to retain the boat ride, I can tell you that. I've driven a box with those springs, can't remember if it was the 150 or the 200 in the back, but def the 925 up front. It wasn't obnoxious, but it was absolutely not the stock floaty-boaty ride. Paired with a larger sway bar front and back it handled quite nicely though.

if you're going to the trouble of doing springs, just rebuild the whole suspension. No better time to do a brake upgrade either.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            you're not going to retain the boat ride, I can tell you that. I've driven a box with those springs, can't remember if it was the 150 or the 200 in the back, but def the 925 up front. It wasn't obnoxious, but it was absolutely not the stock floaty-boaty ride. Paired with a larger sway bar front and back it handled quite nicely though.

if you're going to the trouble of doing springs, just rebuild the whole suspension. No better time to do a brake upgrade either.
            yea i figured as much. in my situation i just convinced myself the handling was worth the sacrifice. lol

also, +1 on the suspension... im doing the rear end swap and bushings currently as well as my shocks/springs. basically a 110% overhaul of the suspension. i cant imagine doing it piece by piece. definitely do it all together if you can, im finding its quite easier..
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

It was a close one folks.
              I did an older Merc convertible with Vi-King coil-overs and full poly and sways two years ago and I love it.
              American made, Quality stuff, no joke. http://vi-king.com/
              So I got on the horn with Vi-King.
              They have coil overs perfectly suited for our boxes and smooth body shocks for the back... but no coils. Double adjustable shocks. I have some and they are really nice pieces.
              They have recommended brands and suppliers for rear coils, along with recommended spring rates.
              Prices are obviously above the plain coils/shocks I'm doing. For their Coil overs and shocks it was near $1K. Add coils for the back and busjiings...and I'd be at $1500.
              Nah. Not on this car.
              I'll have $375 in coils and KYB shocks. A bit more in bushings and associated malarkey by the time I'm done. Let's say $500.
              I'm not upgrading my brakes yet as I have no problem with my brakes as they are. When I got the car I took them completely apart and cleaned them up...and lubed everything. Not grabby..no issues.
              If I wanted one of these cars to POUND... I'd do it in a minute. I'm sold on Vi-King stuff...
              All FORD All The Time

Comment

My 2 cents...I had the Speedway 925s in my 91 with the cheaper KYBs (Excel-G...GR2 doesn't exist anymore). It definitely needed more shock for those springs, however, the springs destroyed the ride quality. They completely broke the way I felt about that car. It went from a car I loved driving and being in to a car I completely hated in all respects. Getting rid of them was the best thing I've done to any of my cars in terms of direct benefit to the driving experience.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                  My 2 cents...I had the Speedway 925s in my 91 with the cheaper KYBs (Excel-G...GR2 doesn't exist anymore). It definitely needed more shock for those springs, however, the springs destroyed the ride quality. They completely broke the way I felt about that car. It went from a car I loved driving and being in to a car I completely hated in all respects. Getting rid of them was the best thing I've done to any of my cars in terms of direct benefit to the driving experience.
                  This is what has me worried. My suspension needs a complete overhaul, including the brakes, which blow. I'd like to lower the car just a tad, but not totally kill the boatiness. My car has a rather pronounced list to starboard, as did my other '90, and i'm not sure whether to chalk it up to springs or body mounts. Anyhow, i would like better handling/braking, but don't want my car to ride like a slammed honda. Already have KYB gas-a-justs all way 'round, cop ones in front, PI rear and addco front bars. Don't want to do anything until my ADTR rear arms are delivered, but this turd needs EVERYTHING. Has anyone just used like a stock-replacement coil spring with good results?

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    This is what has me worried. My suspension needs a complete overhaul, including the brakes, which blow. I'd like to lower the car just a tad, but not totally kill the boatiness. My car has a rather pronounced list to starboard, as did my other '90, and i'm not sure whether to chalk it up to springs or body mounts. Anyhow, i would like better handling/braking, but don't want my car to ride like a slammed honda. Already have KYB gas-a-justs all way 'round, cop ones in front, PI rear and addco front bars. Don't want to do anything until my ADTR rear arms are delivered, but this turd needs EVERYTHING. Has anyone just used like a stock-replacement coil spring with good results?
                    I used the "HD" front springs to replace the 925s (off the top of my head it might be Moog 8652?) and found it a fair bit firmer than the soft factory springs but also a great deal softer than the Speedway springs. That is, the suspension would actually compress instead of feeling like having a cinderblock for a spring.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Its interesting how different shock, wheel, and other variables effect the ride quality. The two cars I’ve ridden In with speedway springs did not feel harsh at all. They simply felt like a modern car. Very stable and fast recovery when hitting bumps- but still able to absorb the little bumps as well. I believe both those cars had newer police gas-a-just shocks though

If you cut half a coil or a little more off the HD springs you may get a firmer, lower ride without loosing the boatiness. However then you still have weak, unmatched rear springs- custom springs are always an option
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

In this... All the info you guys have written along with everything I read on the sticky posts...
                        Led me to this point.
                        I just said screw it and picked something.
                        Once I get it together, I'll try objectively to write something with part numbers and all that malarkey.
                        I guess I just had a revelation ya know.??
                        Like never could be a racecar...so... try to make it one at the cost of the cars spirit and personality.?
                        Nope.
                        Sherrie is a lover. Hence the big back seat, wide rear bumper and pretty face...
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Under-damped heavy springs might be part of the issue. Thats not going to feel as nice as shocks that match the spring rate.

also just as a disclaimer, I drove that car only a few times. Its not something I lived with for many miles so its entirely possibly my opinions would have changed given more wheel time. My car has stock springs, and its keeping them. I went through 3 different sets to get the proper ride height, which happened to be standard replacement parts.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok Ya'll,
                            Sherrie got the Speedway spring treatment with KYB Gas-A-just shocks like I said.
                            Same springs posted here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post132200
                            I only got 15 miles on her last night in the rain.
                            HOWEVER...
                            My first impression is good.
                            Sherrie now has an angry streak. She sits a little higher in the rear than it did but BARELY. The front is the same.
                            My original coils were so incredibly shot the car wallowed mid-stroke like a happy Lab in a mud puddle, and that in itself led to an interesting driving experience.
                            The ride so far was DEFINITELY more firm...more cop-car like, but not...harsh.
                            I'll get some pictures this weekend and get them on here...
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Awesome to hear! Can’t wait to see the pictures
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I used Bilstein Rear Shocks 24-014960 and...……..
                                used Bilstein front shocks 24-014953

I did the spring swap a few years prior to rebuilding the front end; and had Monroe Sensitracs. When I went poly bushings and Bilstein shocks, the ride was a bit more firm; but it handled really well.

Sorry I missed this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X