Questions Reguarding Sway Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions Reguarding Sway Bars

Thinking about adding sway bars to my 2011 Merc. Not looking to auto cross or setup for race. Just want to reduce the amount of body roll for a more positive feel. So would I need front and rear sway bars, or just a rear? Should I stick to a stock size, or go to a larger aftermarket? Have never done mods to suspension other than replacing shocks, so any info would be appreciated. Car has 91K miles but the shocks and struts are still firm. I know I will need all the hardware since it does have any sway bars right now. How difficult of a DIY project would it be?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

If you're able to jack the car up and don't mind crawling under it, the sway bars are probably among the easiest things you can do. The most affordable approach would be to find bars and associated parts in a U-pull yard. IDK the technical details of matching what size with what, or year-to-year variations, or the benefits of paying extra for aftermarket stuff, but I don't see why most people wouldn't be happy with appropriately matched sizes from within the stock offerings. Do you not have any front bar at all? It seems that having a front bar with no rear bar has been fairly common, though I don't think I've ever heard of having no front bar.
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 10-24-2019, 10:11 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

On a 2011, you just need all the hardware from the donor car since everything already exists to mount the bar to. So essentially, sway bar links, bar to axle bushings, axle bushing brackets, bolts for the axle brackets, and the bar itself. It's a super simple job to add it. You can get the rear bar off any 1992-2011 equipped car.

You can certainly upgrade your front bar with one from a 2003+ police car if you'd like if you want a slightly bigger one up there. For the rear, civilian/P71 bars are 17mm and HPP bars are 21mm.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yes it has the front bar. Just meaning if it is adequate or needs upgrading. So would I feel a noticeable difference with adding a stock rear bar?

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

Leaning toward to buying all new components as opposed to salvage parts unless replacement bushings are readily available. Need to look into it further. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

The wear stuff is links and bushings, and you would generally want new. The bushing brackets and fasteners for the rear bar are probably salvage items. I've seen front bushings sold with their own brackets, but not rear ones. One possible approach with salvage bars is getting them cheap enough that you can try different combinations as a learning experience. I'll leave the size-matching stuff for others.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If you can find a late-model junkyard cop car it'll have bigger bars, that would be my go-to.

Comment

amazon has the rear OEM equivalent bar with hardware for like 122 bucks
                2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

After considering the options and pros/cons, I ordered the rear sway bar and hardware kits from adtr.net.

Comment

i find that great on the 08.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Finally installed the new rear sway bar last week. Wow! What difference. Goes around corners like it's on rails. Install was fairly easy.

Comment

Right!
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Smokestacklightnin View Post
                          Finally installed the new rear sway bar last week. Wow! What difference. Goes around corners like it's on rails. Install was fairly easy.
                          Just be careful if the exit ramp is wet. OEM with just the front bar you had understeer, where the car plows as the front tires scrub, it's easy to reduce speed and turn in more of needed. You added how fat a rear bar? You made it more neutral, maybe even into oversteer where the rear will more easily come out on you requiring quick counter steering. Not saying you can't adjust to the bar, just saying be careful in the wet.
                          No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
                          X