Idler arm/center link gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idler arm/center link gap

I was looking under my recently purchased 1989 MGM and noticed a pretty decent gap between the idler arm and center link. Is this normal or should I replace the idler arm?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_145738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1305083

Push up on the center link and see if it moves. There is a metal sleeve inside that bushing that should be pinched tight between the center link and the top nut. If you can move the arm relative to the center link, its done. I think there is normally a washer that sits in there to close the gap up. Either that or its just a wad of grease, its been a good while since I actually changed one of these.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Zyghost View Post
      I was looking under my recently purchased 1989 MGM and noticed a pretty decent gap between the idler arm and center link. Is this normal or should I replace the idler arm?
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]52891[/ATTACH]
      There's supposed to be a felt washer there. It probably deteriorated from age. Like Gadget said push up on the centerlink and see if you have any movement on the idler arm shaft. If you do find any play, replace with moog unit.

Comment

It does have play. I hear Moog a lot but don't have any personal experience with their stuff. Is it comparable to the ACDelco Professional line stuff? Those are the two I'm looking at. The ACDelco is $10 more.

Comment

I used love Moog parts and have used them exclusively for years when I was a automotive mechanic unless a customer wanted a specific name brand or OEM part. It doesn't hurt that they have a life time warranty against factory defects.

Just do not over lube the part and it should out last your car.
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
          X