On the hunt for a chime module 89 TC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the hunt for a chime module 89 TC

Bought one from an ebay seller--it was already shot. Current module works but has lost all volume. Any ideas?

There's a bit of foam in the module that breaks down over time. Once that breaks down the chime module doesn't make sound very well, if at all.

They can be fairly easily repaired, here's a thread on that topic:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=chime+repair

Also of note, for an '89 TC (possibly all years of box TC?), I found that the chime module for a CV/MGM does not use the same connector and will not plug into a TC. In case you come across a box panther in the JY and snag the chime module.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks for the great advice.

Comment

I hate the door chime and am glad mine is barely audible. Guess i'm the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
          I hate the door chime and am glad mine is barely audible. Guess i'm the only one.
          At one time, I felt this way. I disconnected it and immediately locked my keys in the car.

Thereafter, all my chimes have been kept in working order.

+1 they are repairable. You can even use scraps of a microfiber cloth to replace the foam and it will be quieter than original but still work.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            I'm in that boat as well. I ran my '89 MGM for about 10 years that way. Then when I got The Ice Car in 2012, unplugging the chime was the first mod I did.
            I only locked the keys in once after 16-17 years of running this way. Wife was not with me earlier this summer and I had both kids. This is not my usual routine so I must have been distracted. Anyway, no big deal, I just reached inside the rust hole in the door and was able to unlock it.

The chime in The Scab is actually still connected, but the PO had this car in AZ at times and I think the heat did the foam no favors. If the environment is dead quite or my head is under the dash I can actually faintly hear the chime. Under normal circumstances I cannot hear it so I left it alone.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The original in my 86 was in the trunk when I got it. I put it back in. About a year later I was driving somewhere in the rain and the f'n thing started going off. It dinged at me for an hour until I got where I was going. It got ripped out and thrown out the window. Its probably somewhere in a Philadalphia sewer grate still.

The ones in the other cars are still there. The Towncar will not get a replacement.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X