No announcement yet.

Belt alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah thats not supposed to flap like that. and it definitely needs both bolts.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do you guys know off hand what size it is? I have one close that I can use as reference otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

offhand I don't know, but it is metric. Guessing its an M10, probably around 30-35mm long.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, Ill look tomorrow. I was supposed to today but I got caught up doing other things.

Comment

I used that bolt to hold the tensioner in place, installed a smog pump and added a new belt today. 20 minutes into my drive to work and I hear something so I pull over to find this.

I can’t win. Why does this keep happening?

Comment

re-install the missing support rod on the upper AC bracket. Maybe its tilted inward and causing the belt to not track correctly. Are all the other bolts in the brackets? Seems like something just isn't positioned correctly. The only time I had a belt hop was when I put it on the crank one groove off, and it ended up jumping at the compressor and ate the plug for the clutch.

Comment

Thats pretty much what keeps happening. I thought about that, it seems to happen after it shifts and usually when I rev it out a little. I’ll have to look through the trunk as I don’t have that bracket in the car but there are some parts in the trunk.

And to top it off the low oil light came on today and by the time I got to work it seems to be knocking a little at idle. It seems to be coming from the front pullies but it could be the front rod bearing for all I know. No issues with the motor itself until now out of the blue.

Comment

The amber check level light or red engine light? If it’s check level, see how much oil is there. If it’s engine, it’ll probably live a while doing that at hot idle, but I’d address it.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The amber low oil light.

Comment

that comes on when you're about a quart low. Not that big of a deal, just top it off. The red light of doom is the problem one.

Comment

I topped it off on lunch and it seems the oil light and noise is gone but the belt is so loose now. Damn I’m pissed. I’m a little curious about the low oil though. I used a full 5 quarts recently and it doesn’t leak or burn oil at all. But yeah it was a little low.

Comment

Your engine bay is clean. And your battery cable end looks great.

Many 80’s 302’s burn oil to the tune of 1 quart per 1000-1500 miles give or take. Not enough to notice smoking but enough that it needs to be checked between oil changes. The check oil level light used to be a check windshield washer fluid light in the early boxes. I think Ford changed to light to cut down on replacement engines when people tried to go 7500 miles without checking the oil.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks man, I replaced the negative cable from the battery to the block not too long ago because it was starting to look bad. I’ve also tried to wipe everything down to get all the grime off but its not as clean as it looks in that pic lol.

Funny story, I had the same oil in it from the previous owner when I bought it in June ‘18 until a few months ago and it had sat for a while. Should I have changed it sooner oh yeah but I didn’t have time and it didn’t make any noises but the low oil light came on a few days before I changed it. I’ve probably put a few thousand miles on it so I believe what you’re saying. I have 4.10s so I can’t say exactly how many miles I’ve put on it though.

Comment

Working...
                            X