No announcement yet.

Belt alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its missing a groove after it jumped. Here I have more pics. Its fine until I turn the ac on then it jumps off. You can see where the compressor pulley sticks out further than the crank pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It honestly think the compressor clutch hub assembly has been forced forward when a piece of shredded belt got wedged between the compressor housing and clutch assembly. in the last pictures you can see the sliver of belt caught in the area I am talking about.

I would remove the belt remove the clutch plate to reveal the snap ring to see if the ring is still in place or if the grove it sits in has snapped off or the snap ring broke.

You may also have other alignment - compatibility issues with this setup since you are dealing with modified setup.

I think you will need a new compressor and clutch, plus fix whatever alignment issues you have and a new belt.
      If you cannot afford to fix it just remove the belt before the clutch snaps off and causes more problems.
      Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 10-29-2019, 03:58 PM.
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Outlaw has a point if damage occurred to that clutch hub.

As a last ditch effort before you yank more stuff apart, take the belt off and run the ragged edge towards the front of the car. Try routing the belt where the tensioner is on the returning side of the belt as it goes to the crank and see if that either keeps it aligned or if it walks back again.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

also, make sure all of the bolts that hold that AC compressor bracket are in place and tight. There should be a tie bar from the top corner of the bracket above the compressor to a bolt on the lower intake manifold which appears to be missing. There are a couple nuts at the water pump, and at least one bolt into the cylinder head. If that isn't all right the compressor may just not be in the correct position to line up correctly. Might be an optical delusion but it looks like the compressor is too far forward relative to the crank pulley.

for what its worth, I run the AC belt under the tension pulley with no smog pump.

personally I highly doubt the clutch pulley itself is not in the proper position. If the snap ring were off the clutch would be dragging constantly. The original on my Continantal failed that way. The rubber hub on the clutch plate came apart, caught the snap ring, and drug it around until it ground the front of the compressor snout off. At that point the pulley just floated around between the clutch plate and the shoulder. It drug constantly because the gap wasn't maintained, but it also just can't move all that far. The air gap is something like .030, half what the spark plugs gap at. I ran the Conti like that for a couple of months until replacing the compressor, it never threw a belt or caused any trouble other than an annoying rubbing noise.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well something is not right look at the spacing between the compressor and the clutch, every single compressor I remember seeing does not have such a large spacing like that. You can even see part of the shredded belt sticking out from behind the clutch.
            If that clutch is not in the process of coming off it is just plain wrong for the compressor.

87grandmarq evem said he has a different compressor than the original ( I am thinking he has wrong parts mounted to that engine ) the belt got the first part of the belt shredded and wrapped around the compressor that much is obvious. to me the clutch is too far away from the compressor compare these pictures to Kodachromes pictures the difference is obvious who knows what else has been changed out and modified.
            Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 10-29-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Ive been running it without a belt because it keeps throwing it. I just got my other car back from the dealer so I can park this one and slowly work on it. Ill look into pulling the clutch apart.

The thing is its always looked off even whenever I first installed it. But it didnt give me any issues for months until one day it started squealing really bad then it threw the belt. Yes I see the shred of belt but the pulley has always been like that so I doubt the belt did that. I swear though that the belt didnt ride that close to the edge of the tensioner pulley though.

Also I tried rerouting it like Koda’s but my belt is too short. The tensioner is maxed out and it still doesnt want to go on. And as far as the compressor goes it looks like an older style one like the one on my 85 ltd, not like the one Koda has. Like I said the po of my 87 was trying to turn it into a racecar so a bunch of stuff was missing however Im using stock components so Im surprised Im having issues. The compressor bracket was in place so I doubt thats the issue and the compressor is bolted in on all but the front left side so I doubt thats the issue too. Does anyone know of where I can buy a cheap one to mock up? Can I swap to an 88+ compressor with the 87 refrigerant lines?

Comment

IIRC what Nick told me, to run the later stuff, you'd have to change the hoses since the manifold on the compressor is different.

I want to say the belt I'm using is a K060563 belt. You can typically find some variation of that belt number at most parts stores. A little tight, but I got it in place. I might suggest trying that first, then futzing with the pulleys.

My Cars:
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Im running a 560k6 belt right now, Ive been thinking about trying a longer belt thanks. Ive also noticed that the pulley itself seems further forward than most compressors Ive seen pictures of. If thats what you guys were talking about then Im sorry for not listening lol. What can cause that? It doesnt move but I guess the pulley could be loose or not fully seated. Anyone have a good article for taking these things apart?

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
                    Im running a 560k6 belt right now, Ive been thinking about trying a longer belt thanks. Ive also noticed that the pulley itself seems further forward than most compressors Ive seen pictures of. If thats what you guys were talking about then Im sorry for not listening lol. What can cause that? It doesnt move but I guess the pulley could be loose or not fully seated. Anyone have a good article for taking these things apart?

Normally when removing the clutch you just remove the nut or bolt in the center and use a special threaded puller to remove the disk being careful not to loose the spacer shims-washers behind the disk that sometimes get stuck inside the disk where the stud or bolt goes through.

After this there is normally just a snap ring that holds the bearing- hub assembly on ( which if anything is wrong in there it should be obvious)on some clutches especially if your not worried about ruining the clutch you can get two straight screwdrivers in there to gently pry off the clutch disk. yet I have only done that a few times when I was too lazy to remove something that would get in the way of using the puller tool. and even then it only worked on a handful of clutches that were shot anyways.

I think you will find incompatible parts and something terribly wrong with the clutch and or compressor from the wrong parts getting installed.

Comment

Hmm Ill have to tear it down now. I bet youre right about improper parts being installed.

Comment

Looks like an FS6 with the early style clutch, which is what I'd expect to see. The later style clutch is the one with the 3 "pucks" on the front, but its the same compressor. The compressor changed in 89, but the line connections also changed so its not really possible to put a late compressor on and connect it. The very earliest one used a big Frigidaire pump with a V belt drive, which is also not possible to accidentally fit. Basically you get the pump that fits, or nothing else is going in that hole and hooking up without custom lines and brackets.

These are some pics of my Towncar with that same compressor and clutch, and some pics of what the clutch assembly actually looks like off the compressor.
                        Attached Files
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for posting those pics gadget. Can you do me a favor and measure from the compressor housing to the back of the pulley? Mine seems to be further away from the compressor body than yours and others Ive seen on the internet.

Comment

I finally had time to tear into the compressor and found the snap ring to be in place and no movement in the pulley. So I got a new belt and rerouted it the way Wolf has his. Its better but now the other side of the belt is moving way too much. I put all my weight on the tensioner before tightening the bolt that holds the actual tensioner. The smaller bolt to set the tensioner is long gone but I think I might know what size and pitch it is. It doesnt move without it but I think itll eventually start loosening without it. When I had the belt routed the other way I couldnt even use a bolt there as the tensioner was bottomed out past the slit using a 560k6 belt. Anyway Im going to get that bolt and try to put more tension on it. I think if I drove it the way it is itll eventually jump again.

https://youtu.be/FThx_uT4qAI

Comment

Holy cannoli that belt is too loose. That’s how mine looked before I really put some tension on it. You really do need that other bolt, otherwise you’ll throw something apart.

My Cars:

Comment

Ill try to get one tomorrow but its sitting in the meantime anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X