PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: My new 1989 Crown Vic

Default My new 1989 Crown Vic

It's an LX, white/white, with burgundy cloth interior. It has 91k miles. I got it a month ago in Dayton, Ohio and drove it home here to upstate New York. It was Ziebarted when new and there is no rust on it. Even the bottoms of the doors are completely clean. The paint is original and very nice. Still has inspection marks visible in doors and trunk. Worker with the last name of Moore on the stamps. All of the chrome on this car, including the bumpers, is absolutely like new. I have never seen 30 year old chrome this nice. The entire interior looks new. No wear at all. I mean right down to there not being a single scratch on the clear plastic covering the speedometer. Ashtrays and lighters were never used. Looks like the cassette deck was never used. The a/c was converted and is ice cold. Two window motors don't work....big deal. There is a small, shallow dent in the hood on the passenger's side. Not terribly noticeable. Tires are new Goodyear Integrity. Alignment was done. Brakes were done. Tranny was rebuilt in 2015, at 73k. Other than the 2 window motors, the only issue is a vacuum leak....most likely the parking brake release situation. I will be dealing with that shortly. This car is clean, clean, clean! Original owner was an Air Force officer on the base of Wright-Patterson. When he passed, his son sold it to the second owner, two years ago. She "upgraded" to a newer vehicle and I very happily bought the Vic....for $2500. I have been getting tons of compliments for this car already. People can't believe what great condition it's in for being 30 years old. It looks more like a 3 year old car.

So....how the heck do you post photos on here from a phone??? The last time I was on the site was with my laptop and that is no longer used for internet stuff. I see no icon for attaching images at all. If they need to be through a hosting site, I do have one that I use sometimes.

Cheers,

David

Wow! nice find! Can't wait to see pics.

For me, I usually upload to imgur.com and then you can either just link the page the images were uploaded to or use the BB code "[img]" tags to the urls. I'm never on this site with mobile so I can't say how to upload directly to the site on there.

Great color combo. The red tone interiors are non existent in most new stuff but I like it - especially with white outside.

I use the tapatalk app when inbred to upload pics.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Nice find, Plus one for wanting to see pictures. ( do not be such a tease LOL )
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

The insert image tab should allow you to pull pics straight from computer, don't know about doing it with a phone though.

I will do my best to get some pics up tomorrow via cubeupload.

I found the car by searching Craigslist nationwide. In the pics, I could see that the right front wheel center cap was missing. I picked up a nice one on ebay for $27. I took it with me when I went to get the car. I had a little bit of intuition and also took with me a 5.0 distributor boot and a new matching set of tire valve stem caps. Sure enough, the original boot was missing and there were only 3 mismatched valve stem caps.

It came from the factory with a mini spare tire. About 2 miles from here I found a nice full-size spare wheel and tire for $10 total. Hardly any tread wear on the tire. I swapped the mini for a bumper jack handle, which was the only other thing that was missing. The jack itself and the base plate look like they were never used. The mini spare never had been. Sometime I will get a gray cover for the full-size spare. The one for the mini is clean, but doesn't fully cover the full-size tire, of course. The whole trunk is completely clean.

Question: Did these cars come from the factory with a tire change instruction decal on the underside of the trunk lid, like the Fords in the 1970s? My family's first 89 Vic has been gone since 1993 and I just can't remember that little detail.

The car does have every single booklet of the original owner's manual kit, including booklets for both Goodyear and Michelin tires. It has the warranty card with the metal VIN plate, a plastic card where the original owner purchased extended warranty coverage, etc. The car also has both sets of original keys plus an extra Ilco set. It even has the dealer lot tag that the keys were on. I think the only things not with it are the audio cassette and the window sticker.

I do plan to get a Deluxe Marti report for it in the near future.

I do know that the original owner took delivery of the car on April Fool's Day, 1989. My parents purchased their 89 the first week of June, 1989. Interestingly, both cars were assembled in March of 1989.

I put a set of white vinyl floor mats in the car that my family originally purchased in 1975 for a white 1974 2-door base Torino (blue interior in that car). I have kept them all these years!

I am loving the little wing vent windows in the front. Last year for those. Takes me back to the days of the 1968 Custom 2-door sedan that my parents had when I was a little boy.

Red interiors, especially with plush cloth seats, seem very warm and inviting. My family's first Panther was a 1982 LTD 2-door that was black with a red interior....brighter than this burgundy, but both shades are nice.

That reminds me: in 1989, I looked at a secondhand 89 Grand Marquis LS. The color combination was very eye-catching, to me. I would say that the exterior was Lemon Cream and the interior was Royal Purple cloth. What were the "official" Mercury names for those colors? I have always wondered. Couldn't make a deal for that car because the used car dealer was only offering peanuts for the 82, even though it was in great shape with low mileage.

Okay, let's see how the photos go. The problem yesterday was that the full screen of options wasn't coming up here. Looks normal now.

By the way, the car also has new valve cover gaskets and a new alternator. Glad those are already done. The second owner's dad also took care of a heater hose and clamp. There are no fluid drips of any kind throughout this car!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191028_165654.jpg   IMG_20191028_165710.jpg   IMG_20191028_165730.jpg   IMG_20191028_165743.jpg   IMG_20191028_165815.jpg  

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Never seen a decal on the bottom of the trunk, but it might be on the inside of the spare tire cover. I know my Continental has it there, I don't remember if the Towncar does or not.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

More pics. The server here has been very busy or I would have had them up sooner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191028_165837.jpg   IMG_20191028_165846.jpg   IMG_20191028_170046.jpg   IMG_20191028_170117.jpg   IMG_20191028_170132.jpg  

IMG_20191028_170148.jpg  

Last batch of pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20191028_170215.jpg   IMG_20191028_170008.jpg   IMG_20191028_170204.jpg   IMG_20191028_170302.jpg   IMG_20191028_170435.jpg  

Nice ride!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Southern

What a super nice car. How did you find it? Congratulations on the purchase.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 05 GMC Yukon (tahoe)

I have a full size spare cover and it has the jacking instructions decal on the bottom side. I also have the black plastic plug you are missing on the front of the intake plenum. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Found the car with one of those search engines where you can look at Craigslist posts nationwide.

I would be interested in those parts soon, WagonMan, might be a few weeks though, as money is very tight right now.

Did the parking brake switch-vacuum leak fix a couple of days ago and the car is now running like new!

Now thats a nice clean find.

Wow. That's a nice rust free find! Thanks for the pics.

It's been so long since I've had the original front end on my car I forgot that the original bumper had such an "under bite". I figured it was just a weirdness of bolting on the '87 bumper and header panel. Looks like the mounts of the 88+ are just sticking out further than the 87- counterparts.

My family had the 82 LTD for 7 years before we got the first 89. Then had them side-by-side for 2 years. At first, I didn't like the changes in 1988. I initially thought that Ford was being too derivative of the Cadillac Seville. But, the look grew on me and after we had that first 89 for a while I was just fine with it. On the Grand Marquis side, I like the 88 to 91 a bit better than the 87 and earlier and that has been true since the first 88 that I saw....the brown one in the movie Red Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    I have a full size spare cover and it has the jacking instructions decal on the bottom side. I also have the black plastic plug you are missing on the front of the intake plenum. WagonMan
    I see that a busy server cut out my reply the other day.

I am interested in those items....may be a little while though, as money is pretty tight right now

Great. You can contact me at VEIGHTPETE@GMAIL.COM WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Got my New York plates and registration. My temporary tag from Ohio cost $18.50 six weeks ago and I was determined to get my money's worth out of it. LOL
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....