The dread electric window problem--89 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dread electric window problem--89 Town Car

Both my 1989 TC (base) front windows have acted up. They stop working and the next day, they work. On the driver's side, the window stopped working for a night. The next morning, it worked great and has now worked great for about 2 months. Today, it called it quits again. On the passenger's side, the window once stopped working. A friendly Ford mechanic tapped the inside of the door (with his hand), and it has worked great ever since. The rear windows still work fine.

This leads me down a rabbit hole, I am sure. Questions:

Where the best place to buy a window motor? I assume they are different for each door? I assume the motor is the problem?

I assume there is a thread somewhere (or a video on Youtube or both) on how to replace the motor. Can someone confirm that?

This is a pain. Am I doomed to endless window problems? This tests my patience with this old girl.

Thanks for your help!

Window motors are easy to change, yes there are numerous how to videos online to do the job if needed.
    However tapping on the door does not tell you for sure what is wrong, you should remove the door panels and use a DVOM or test light to confirm you are getting power to each motor at the motor.
    You could have dry rotted cracked wiring at the pivot point of the door causing an intermittent connection, Bad switches, and or other issues other than just a bad motor. Not to mention you have a older vehicle that has been touched by who knows how many other people in the past so it is likely the fault could be from poor work done in the past. ( another reason to just pull the panels and inspect everything ) which will give you a chance to clean out door drains and perform maintenance in the door like lubing tracks, latches etc.
    Amazon has cheap motors, regulators etc same with Partsgeek, and rock auto along with numerous other sites. OEM Motorcraft being the best but can be costly in comparison
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Its been a very long time since i actually bought a window motor. usually when they get intermittent like this, you can take the motor apart, clean the commutator, and put it back together again. Replace the grease and the little plastic pills in the gear end of it while its apart. All of the motors in my car are original 1980s vintage.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X