PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

Default Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

My '86 CS has the factory Premium Sound with Cassette and I would like to open the head unit to replace the belts, clean all the contacts (static when adjusting volume, certain speakers are in and out), and generally go through it all to get it back up to factory spec. Has anyone torn into one of these? How tiny and difficult is it to work on, or is it doable?

Thanks!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Its really not that bad. Basically take a bunch of screws out and the top and bottom covers come off, and everything is right there. The controls stick into the chassis just far enough that you can get contact cleaner in them without having to remove the faceplate if you don't want to. Belts are right on the bottom. The faceplate comes off with a couple more screws and the knobs if you want to give it a deep clean.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

That's good to hear. Any idea what size belts it takes? I would like to be able to order them ahead of time.

Thanks!

No idea. I bought an assortment bag and found 2 that fit.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Do yourself a favor and upgrade the speaks too. Take the factory premium stuff, throw it in the trash and install JBL's from a Town Car everywhere the premium stuff was. Experience what amounts to at least a 100% improvement in tonal quality and frequency response, especially in the low end.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I'm wanting to do the same thing to my '86.
    What kind of contact cleaner do ya'll recommend.?
    All FORD All The Time

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    I'm wanting to do the same thing to my '86.
    What kind of contact cleaner do ya'll recommend.?
    electrical contact cleaner will do it. you can pick that up from practically any auto parts store.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Gone! But Parts from it will live on in others!

Speakers are next on the list, I think they have been replaced at some point but a couple are in and out, could be the headunit or the speakers. Either way they will get replaced.

I usually use the basic CRC QD cleaner, but its not a bad idea to follow that with a tiny bit of the CRC 2-26 precision lube or equivalent. Lube in the pots helps them live longer but it has to be something thats not going to destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I usually use the basic CRC QD cleaner, but its not a bad idea to follow that with a tiny bit of the CRC 2-26 precision lube or equivalent. Lube in the pots helps them live longer but it has to be something thats not going to destroy it.
    Thanks. I like CRC products, so I'll give them both a go.
    All FORD All The Time

I like them because they aren't stupid expensive, and I can get them locally. I've also used Caig DeOxit but its like 3x the price and I'm not really convinced it works better.

I've used MG Chemical Contact Cleaner for years and the CRC QD Cleaner works just as good on most things and even better on removing grease (why I use it on automotive stuff now) and like was already stated - inexpensive and readily available. The MG stuff flashes off a little faster, but that's about it. It's not worth 2-3x the price IMO.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Looks like the PO attempted to do some "custom" wiring...
    Hopefully all of the stock wiring is still there and I can just source a new pigtail for the radio. Revert to 100% stock. instead of whatever this rats nest is.

Update:
    At minimum the hackery was confined to the radio side of things in the dash, it appears all of the stock in dash stuff was left alone. I'll check the speakers/amp this week. Might be able to save this just by getting a new head unit from a yard or Fleabay

The wiring in my Conti was hacked too. Its got the wrong plug on it now, John gave me an 87 radio with that style connector so thats what went in. I eventually modified it to work with the JBL amp using the factory harness. Its got a bit of a knocked-together adapter harness in the back but the harness in the car is essentially unmodified. It was the least invasive upgrade I could do, and honestly it sounds pretty good. For a while I had it with stock 2 channel premium sound, then upgraded it to later 80s 4 channel. The JBL was a big upgrade from either. Unfortunately the 86-specific amp is not exactly a common item, and the parts to fix those amps in general aren't exactly plentiful anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    ...The JBL was a big upgrade from either. Unfortunately the 86-specific amp is not exactly a common item, and the parts to fix those amps in general aren't exactly plentiful anymore either.
    I've got one.

It came from a Townie though.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I wasn't aware '86 was a one year only amp. I don't mind switching amps as long as I can avoid hacking the vehicle wiring (adapter harnesses are fine. I'll dig into the amp tonight and see if it is still good.
    Is the wagon amp different than the sedan for '86? I would presume the wiring pinout is at lease the same even if it has different mounting holes.

There are some differences in the amps, different EQ curves, different mounting arrangements, some had different connectors, and some are 2 channel, others are 4 channel. You can change the plugs around without much fuss. If its a 4 channel and you need a 2 channel, you can just leave the extra wires going noplace and it will work fine. Right now I can't lay my hands on it but I have factory service manuals for these things. I just don't remember where the heck I put them. Its got the different applications and such.

I have the FSM for my year, would I be able to identify which amp I have without pulling the rear quarter trim/moulding out? I just checked one of the rear speakers and it looks like they just bypassed the stock harness entirely which makes my life easier.

Its a part number thing. The service manuals I have are specifically for the audio system. They would probably have the info you're after but without knowing where the heck I put the blasted things I couldn't tell you.

the amp lives in the spare tire area if I remember right. Not too hard to access.