Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

My '86 CS has the factory Premium Sound with Cassette and I would like to open the head unit to replace the belts, clean all the contacts (static when adjusting volume, certain speakers are in and out), and generally go through it all to get it back up to factory spec. Has anyone torn into one of these? How tiny and difficult is it to work on, or is it doable?

Thanks!
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Its really not that bad. Basically take a bunch of screws out and the top and bottom covers come off, and everything is right there. The controls stick into the chassis just far enough that you can get contact cleaner in them without having to remove the faceplate if you don't want to. Belts are right on the bottom. The faceplate comes off with a couple more screws and the knobs if you want to give it a deep clean.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's good to hear. Any idea what size belts it takes? I would like to be able to order them ahead of time.

Thanks!
      1986 Country Squire
      1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

No idea. I bought an assortment bag and found 2 that fit.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Do yourself a favor and upgrade the speaks too. Take the factory premium stuff, throw it in the trash and install JBL's from a Town Car everywhere the premium stuff was. Experience what amounts to at least a 100% improvement in tonal quality and frequency response, especially in the low end.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'm wanting to do the same thing to my '86.
            What kind of contact cleaner do ya'll recommend.?
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
              I'm wanting to do the same thing to my '86.
              What kind of contact cleaner do ya'll recommend.?
              electrical contact cleaner will do it. you can pick that up from practically any auto parts store.

Comment

Speakers are next on the list, I think they have been replaced at some point but a couple are in and out, could be the headunit or the speakers. Either way they will get replaced.
                1986 Country Squire
                1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

I usually use the basic CRC QD cleaner, but its not a bad idea to follow that with a tiny bit of the CRC 2-26 precision lube or equivalent. Lube in the pots helps them live longer but it has to be something thats not going to destroy it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I usually use the basic CRC QD cleaner, but its not a bad idea to follow that with a tiny bit of the CRC 2-26 precision lube or equivalent. Lube in the pots helps them live longer but it has to be something thats not going to destroy it.
                    Thanks. I like CRC products, so I'll give them both a go.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

I like them because they aren't stupid expensive, and I can get them locally. I've also used Caig DeOxit but its like 3x the price and I'm not really convinced it works better.

Comment

I've used MG Chemical Contact Cleaner for years and the CRC QD Cleaner works just as good on most things and even better on removing grease (why I use it on automotive stuff now) and like was already stated - inexpensive and readily available. The MG stuff flashes off a little faster, but that's about it. It's not worth 2-3x the price IMO.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Looks like the PO attempted to do some "custom" wiring...
                          Hopefully all of the stock wiring is still there and I can just source a new pigtail for the radio. Revert to 100% stock. instead of whatever this rats nest is.
                          1986 Country Squire
                          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Update:
                            At minimum the hackery was confined to the radio side of things in the dash, it appears all of the stock in dash stuff was left alone. I'll check the speakers/amp this week. Might be able to save this just by getting a new head unit from a yard or Fleabay
                            1986 Country Squire
                            1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

The wiring in my Conti was hacked too. Its got the wrong plug on it now, John gave me an 87 radio with that style connector so thats what went in. I eventually modified it to work with the JBL amp using the factory harness. Its got a bit of a knocked-together adapter harness in the back but the harness in the car is essentially unmodified. It was the least invasive upgrade I could do, and honestly it sounds pretty good. For a while I had it with stock 2 channel premium sound, then upgraded it to later 80s 4 channel. The JBL was a big upgrade from either. Unfortunately the 86-specific amp is not exactly a common item, and the parts to fix those amps in general aren't exactly plentiful anymore either.

Comment

Working...
                              X