Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    ...The JBL was a big upgrade from either. Unfortunately the 86-specific amp is not exactly a common item, and the parts to fix those amps in general aren't exactly plentiful anymore either.
    I've got one.

It came from a Townie though.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I wasn't aware '86 was a one year only amp. I don't mind switching amps as long as I can avoid hacking the vehicle wiring (adapter harnesses are fine. I'll dig into the amp tonight and see if it is still good.
      Is the wagon amp different than the sedan for '86? I would presume the wiring pinout is at lease the same even if it has different mounting holes.
      1986 Country Squire
      1969 Mercury Cougar
      1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

There are some differences in the amps, different EQ curves, different mounting arrangements, some had different connectors, and some are 2 channel, others are 4 channel. You can change the plugs around without much fuss. If its a 4 channel and you need a 2 channel, you can just leave the extra wires going noplace and it will work fine. Right now I can't lay my hands on it but I have factory service manuals for these things. I just don't remember where the heck I put them. Its got the different applications and such.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have the FSM for my year, would I be able to identify which amp I have without pulling the rear quarter trim/moulding out? I just checked one of the rear speakers and it looks like they just bypassed the stock harness entirely which makes my life easier.
          1986 Country Squire
          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Its a part number thing. The service manuals I have are specifically for the audio system. They would probably have the info you're after but without knowing where the heck I put the blasted things I couldn't tell you.

the amp lives in the spare tire area if I remember right. Not too hard to access.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Alright, so I got a new deck from WagonMan and I have run into a few snags.
              It won't stay in Radio mode unless I hold the "Eject" button in, otherwise it runs in Cassette Play mode
              Possible contributing factor? There is a Orange/Blue trace wire that was hanging, not attached to a connector. Both factory plugs had all of the correct wires EXCEPT for the small 4 pin connector which had an empty socket connected to the radio Orange/Blue wire.

No sound from speakers, I replaced the Front Right door speaker and plugged it back into the stock harness but it was not a confidence inspiring connection, felt a little looser than I would like.
              I have uncovered the factory Premium Sound Amp and no wires are cut, it is all still plugged in.

How can I best test the Factory Amp and then how can I verify the connection to the new speaker?
              Any tips on the Cassette deck eject/radio shenanigans?

Thanks!
              1986 Country Squire
              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Sounds like the eject mechanism got a little jacked in shipment. There's a switch in the moment of the rack that triggers "tape mode" and it sounds like something is not releasing it. Like a return spring broke or something.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Any idea if people have fixed these before?
                  1986 Country Squire
                  1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

This is the 86 stereo with the 4 memory presets ? I found my service lit I can scan for you if you're up for exploring. Elsewise I can probably fix it. The power amp you need the wiring diagram for. They're not real complex to test, but ideally you want to connect it to the stereo to check the whole thing as a unit. It can be driven from another source, but basically it needs to be something that can drive a speaker directly. Not too much to them though, common ground, left +, right + input. Power, ground, and a mute wire that gets +12v when the radio is on. Output is a + and - for each speaker. if its the 4 channel model, just double the ins and outs. The amp is literally just double the component count to get 4 channels vs 2.

Comment

If you could scan those that would be great! I replaced the belts already so I can't imagine the deck mechanism is much deeper in it.

Here is a picture of my amp, not sure how to tell the 2 vs 4 channel. But the number of wires would suggest 2 channel
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200126_174612.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1286442

For future users who are searching I used turntableneedles.com for ordering the belts, I used a 6.0 and a 10.0 inch square section belts, 1.2mm thick. The long one is a little too thick so you may have to bend some of the guide tabs around the pulleys to clear.
                      1986 Country Squire
                      1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

can't tell but the 2 channel should have 10 wires I think, and the 4 channel has 16. I think I can scan the wiring diagram for that.

manual for just the radio is 70 pages. I'll get the mechanical assembly diagram. Hopefully that will help some, but likely its an issue with the switch on the tape mech that flips it from tuner to tape. Not sure precisely whre that is mounted without looking inside but it appears to have 2 purple wires, a red, and a green going to it. It should flip position depending on tape in or out. My guess is either its not in position, or whatever pushes it isn't moving quite as far as it should. Might be tweaked or just stuck from old lube.

can't do the whole thing, someone at work will surely pitch a fit if I'm spending too long scanning in obviously not-work stuff.

Comment

The mech assembly diagram would be perfect.
                          I am assuming the eject button is supposed to "latch" in when pushed? Mine currently does not so my guess is that something is out of alignment, It does eject tapes, and will switch to radio mode, I just have to hold the eject button.

Thanks!
                          1986 Country Squire
                          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

PM me your email address. I can't upload the scans here. They're all in PDF format.

Comment

Update, got the cassette mechanisms switched, but to fully test everyting I need to get the Orange/LB wire back in the plug. Does anyone know or have a source for the kinds of pins/contacts used in the radio plug?
                              LMR doesn't have them, if someone knows the type I can just get them from Digikey or Mouser
                              1986 Country Squire
                              1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

clipsandfasteners has those terminals. I have an assortment of different types on hand. They need the proper type of crimp tool though, the kind that puts that M shaped crimp like the OE terminals are. Standard crimpers won't work right.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/O-...search=%20Ford

should be either mini block or blade.

Comment

Working...
                                X