No announcement yet.

Refurbishing Factory Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had time to wire in a speaker to test things today. Got sound through the FR channel so the amp is good!
    Unfortunately the cassette deck is still dead. So if anyone has a fully functional '86 Electronic/Premium sound head unit I would love to get my hands on it.
    All I want is a functional AM/FM/Cassette stock radio, I did not anticipate this much difficulty in achieving that.
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

Just bumping this thread up tp show some appreciation for documenting the cassette belt sizes.

I also have a question regarding pulling the face plate off. Do the knobs just pull off or are there set screws or hidden caps that need to be removed first to uncover set screws?

I have an 86 premium sound radio (4 button memory) that I am currently bench testing for myself and I would like to take some things apart before trying the cassette function.

Radio tunes. Memory memorizes speaker leads output. Fades do fading etc. Everything tuner wise appears to work. just afraid yet to put a cassette in.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

knobs just pull off, the buttons stay. If you want to pull the face for deeper cleaning underneath it has a couple screws on the side I think. Just watch the power button, the plastic bit that sticks through the face likes to fall off once the faceplate is off, and it usually becomes apparent after you get it all back together. Have to pull the face to change the bulb if thats bad.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What about the am/fm tune one?

Also put cassette in. It accepts it. Just hear stuff spinning inside. Id guess the belts are no longer functioning?

Tape ejects nicely as well.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What bulbs do I have out.

The actual power button does not illuminate nor does the entire cassette side of things on this radio. Or are things supposed to be this way?
            Attached Files
            ~David~

Comment

instructions in the manual are the same for tape and non-tape. Doesn't say anything about set screws. Never messed with a non-tape one personally.

"Bezel: Pull the volume, bass, treble, balance, fader, outer and inner tune/function knobs off thei control shafts. Remove the two 4B screws (one on either side of the bezel). Pull the bezel forward off the chassis".

thats how they light up. Only 1 bulb in the whole thing.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those knobs are held on awfully tight. Only one not liberated yet is the scan one.
                ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

What bulbs do I have out.

The actual power button does not illuminate nor does the entire cassette side of things on this radio. Or are things supposed to be this way?
                  You sure you don't want one of those which says "Ford-JBL?"
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    You sure you don't want one of those which says "Ford-JBL?"
                    If you are offering a fully functioning unit I am not opposed to it though I do not find it necessary. I found this in a junkyard and am happy the tuner even works. Will give my interior just one more level of detail. I am integrating this radio with my current sub and amp set up through the use of a LCQ-1 which is a line output converter which quite a few features. Hoping it all works out well for me. Would just like to get the cassette tape working as I do have a large collection of cassettes from my parents. And it is nice to have all the features working on a unit.
                    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-10-2020, 06:58 AM. Reason: LCQ1 NOT LC7I
                    ~David~

Comment

Got lucky

Opened it all up and found out one belt fell off.

Big belt was off and small belt is still really loose. I will be replacing them and cleaning the pulleys up really well once I do so.

I slapped back on what was there and tried it out:

Cool. Radio now is fully functional!
                      Attached Files
                      ~David~

Comment

yeah the belts stretch. You're lucky it was just loose, sometimes they turn into black sticky goo that is a huge pain in the ass to clean up.

Stick a pair of spoons under the stuck knob and use those to pry it off. Plastic trim pry tools also work. They probably haven't been removed since the mid 80s, and the little spring steel piece in there that keeps it tight probably rusted enough to get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          yeah the belts stretch. You're lucky it was just loose, sometimes they turn into black sticky goo that is a huge pain in the ass to clean up.

Stick a pair of spoons under the stuck knob and use those to pry it off. Plastic trim pry tools also work. They probably haven't been removed since the mid 80s, and the little spring steel piece in there that keeps it tight probably rusted enough to get stuck.
                          That does sound terrible to clean up. New belts are on the way to avoid that in the future.

The knobs were most likely never touched. Way hard to budge. I got them all off though without damaging anything.

Now I am contemplating whether or not I want to add the aux mod to it.

I looked up your video and I understand everything that needs to be done.

I have the proper nice and thin wire at work to do it....shielded with two strand for left and right. Two total to make the 5 pin connector function properly.

I would use a 3.5mm (1/8) 5 pin female connector as I don't want to mess with the 1/4.

My hold up is where I would want to mount such a thing.

Yours is in your glove box. I kinda would want to have it flush mounted somewhere and connect my i pod or phone to it with a cable.

Just where or where to put it that is would not be in the way of things yet be easily accessible?
                          ~David~

Comment

I think I am settling for mounting a keyed 12 power port under the passengers side seat hanging off seat mounting bolt and then inserting a FM transmitter. This will be the cleanest solution without potentially compromising the integrity of the radio. It will also allow me to make and receive hand free calls if I so choose to do so. I can also insert a USB thumb drive that is filled with music directly into the fm transmitter. I have a very nice 12 power port ready for the job even. No cables to mess with and everything will be hidden.
                            ~David~

Comment

I used a 1/4" jack because its what I had laying around at the time. The current install uses a 3.5mm that is in the panel directly below the radio. The dash trim on the Conti is such that there is a bit of a ledge there, so the jack faces straight down at the floor. Can barely see it unless you look for it. Ford dash trim isn't quite so handy, so basically unless you drill through the panel around the radio someplace you're probably stuck hiding it in the ash tray or somewhere under the dash.

I've used FM transmitters with mixed results. Some are fine, some sound like absolute garbage. I had better results with ones that sat between the antenna cable and the radio rather than ones that actually have to be received through the antenna. I believe bluetooth cassette adapters exist too, no idea on the sound quality or functionality there but its something to consider. I will tell you the old tape deck to mp3 player cord deal doesn't sound nearly as good as the direct aux input. How much of that is just how those things are and how much is the possibly questionable condition and quality of the tape head amp I don't know. Probably some of both.

Comment

There are always pros and cons. I am compromising at first to save any surgery on the radio. Id hate to ruin a good thing here. I am trying to avoid any wires crossing the center dash area because I have my shifter in that area. I looked up a bunch of reviews and picked out one that appears to be very popular as of late for under 20 bucks even. If it turns out to not work as well as I wished I can always reassess. I would gain a neat hidden power port under the passengers side seat regardless.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X