New here, but a panther fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here, but a panther fan

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and getting back to the joys of panther ownership. Years ago I owned a '99 Marquis until my intake manifold replacement apparently caused a fire while driving. I suspect an o-ring on an injector failed when I reinstalled the fuel rail. I was very sad about that, as the car had over 250,000 miles at the time and was doing good.

Last week I won an absentee $400 bid on an '02 Marquis from a local auction house. Car has a big gash down the passenger side, but everything else is good with it including A/C which is a must in Texas. It's at 212,000 miles and runs smoothly. I'm about to tear into the front suspension as it's soft and a bit loose feeling. Planning to start with shocks, then stabilizer links. I'm looking at the Gabriel Ultra Shock 69675, or the Monroe 33127 - car has regular suspension with coils in the rear, are either of those good, or do folks have other recommendations?

I need to get a scanner on it as I've got lights on for Brake, ABS, and ABS (code 1-2) but am confident I can get it worked out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	home2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1305087

Welcome I hope she treats you well.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your win.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks fellas, hoping to do the shocks on Sunday and will start tackling other suspension bits soon. ABS, Brake and Air Bag lights are up there too.

When the brake light lights, can that be triggered by one of the 2 bulbs in the 3rd brake light being out? Brake light is solid without foot having touched the brake.

Comment

I would imagine the brake light has more to do with fluid level in the master cylinder than lights out....I am no expert in the "newer" panthers though.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fluid level or parking brake a bit loose/pressed down/contact ring not quite making good contact. There's a small washer that makes contact with two blades coming out of the "switch" when the parking brake is in the full upright position. If that washer is oxidized, it won't make good contact. Scraping the surface a bit will fix that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              Fluid level or parking brake a bit loose/pressed down/contact ring not quite making good contact. There's a small washer that makes contact with two blades coming out of the "switch" when the parking brake is in the full upright position. If that washer is oxidized, it won't make good contact. Scraping the surface a bit will fix that.
              OK thanks, fluid level is good and I've cycled the float a couple of times to see if that helps. I'll check the parking brake further - can't see much up there right now. (just realized there's an under dash light there - not working of course.)

My big news, is I was able to change out the shocks with some Gabriel Ultra's. Fronts went fine, left rear went not too badly - right rear was a total PITA. I had to cut a hole through the trunk as there was not enough room with those hard lines to pull the old nut and washer off, let alone maneuver the new bushing and nut and washing without losing them. Hole is ugly and I'll find a good way to seal it back up. Metal is cut on 3 sides and bent back, I might cut it completely way and fabricate some sort of rubber secured flap. Oh, and the ride is night and day different - I removed Motorcraft shocks, don't know if they were the original ones or not.

Thanks for the good information guys, I'll keep knocking things off one at a time!
              Last edited by knormal; 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Congrats on getting back in a panther and welcome to the forums!

Comment

Welcome!

Looks like a great score for $400, even with the mentioned issues.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Another quick question, which is better the Haynes or Chilton manual?

Comment

Get a factory manual. EBay $26 with shipping or so for both volumes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Ford-W...6fGD4TWbkPgpyw

Otherwise I prefer a Chilton.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

+1 I prefer Chiltons over Haynes but a factory manual beats them hands down.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK will do thanks!

Comment

The factory service manual(s) came in last night - wow, my head hurt after reviewing them. So much detail! Thanks for the link Tiggie!

Comment

Originally posted by knormal View Post
                              The factory service manual(s) came in last night - wow, my head hurt after reviewing them. So much detail! Thanks for the link Tiggie!
                              That was a good deal! Had hoped the seller had a set for my Escape, but they were sold out. Glad you got your set.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X