PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 85' Crown Vic

A month ago this guy asked to take pictures of my car, heres a link to his post on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQpAYc2l...dium=copy_link

fomoco panthers !

I guess if a person does not have Instagram, they can't see it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I guess if a person does not have Instagram, they can't see it ?
    I don't think you can see that on mobile. Worked for me atleast on desktop.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	56841

Last year I installed a Lares 1603 steering box from RockAuto, It recently started to leak and felt "loose" Today I installed the police steering box and did a string alignment, took it down the road and it was a night and day difference, felt a lot tighter and more responsive.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

sad fact is that a lot of "reman" boxes are just washed, re-sealed, and painted. Its still a worn out box inside. Racks are the same. I've changed both and found that what I put on wasn't really any better than what I took off.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Ive replaced both racks and boxes (at work) and unfortunately you're right. I just hope I get more than a year out of this one.

Same goes for A/C compressors too.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	57065

The aftermath

Nice. Been there before:

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

After replacing the body bushings I added "ditch" lights. Here are the results.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	57075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	57076

Donating Member

Lights look good

Donating Member

Don't thank me
    thank yourself
    you're the one who installed them lol

Just now came across your thread and I gotta say, WOW! I really like it. Im jealous of the pinstripe, mine is basically gone. Great work with the body bushings and all the steering stuff as well. I love the speedo! Really cool car. I'm glad to see a CV version two door out on the road, and in great condition to boot!
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Motive 4.30 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own quite possibly the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.95@68.89mph

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Same goes for A/C compressors too.
    I found an NOS FS6 compressor cheap and have it on the shelf as a spare for the Towncar and the Conti. Been down the reman path. The one on the Townie sounds like a dying air raid siren. The one it replaced lasted about a year before losing it's seals. The used original 1986 compressor I stuck on the Conti is perfectly quiet and works fantastic.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
    After replacing the body bushings I added "ditch" lights. Here are the results.
    Ditch lights are awesome. One of my cues for a higher optioned vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I found an NOS FS6 compressor cheap and have it on the shelf as a spare for the Towncar and the Conti. Been down the reman path. The one on the Townie sounds like a dying air raid siren. The one it replaced lasted about a year before losing it's seals. The used original 1986 compressor I stuck on the Conti is perfectly quiet and works fantastic.
    That's just so sad, that searching for NOS parts is what we're reduced to. I *think* there was a time when remanned stuff wasn't complete shit.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

approaching the point where I'm willing to do my own reman work. If its going to be a piece of shit, at least it won't be an expensive piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    approaching the point where I'm willing to do my own reman work. If its going to be a piece of shit, at least it won't be an expensive piece of shit.
    LOL.

I think remans have dropped in quality but I'm not so sure old remans were that good either. I'm guilty of turning in the worst core that probably isn't going to be rebuildable. I bet I'm not the only one. The parts store folk don't seem to care any more.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123